PDA

View Full Version : massing & volume question

utakecare2003
2012-03-14, 04:58 AM
1. what is the best way to model a pyramid w/ a triangular bottom (so all 4 sides are triangle)?
2. this is more like a algebra question. I had 2 forms in the attached model, they are all 24x17 rectangular, 4 vertical edges are 3", 3.5", 4" & 8". One is modeled as a whole, but the other is modeled as 2 separate pyramid. Their volume should be exactly the same, right? but they are not. why?????? could not figure it out.
any help?
thanks
utc

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-03-14, 05:07 AM
No attachment

utakecare2003
2012-03-14, 08:28 PM
No attachment

uploaded,
Any answer?
thanks
utc

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-03-15, 02:00 AM
1. what is the best way to model a pyramid w/ a triangular bottom (so all 4 sides are triangle)?

Not sure what you are after here. Is the form you are trying to model what was in the attachment? A Pyramid with a triangular bottom (a 3 sided pyramid?) so it wouldn't have four sides:?
What are you using the form for? Is it to create a roof by face? Is it an object (in which case, why use a mass?)

2. this is more like a algebra question. I had 2 forms in the attached model, they are all 24x17 rectangular, 4 vertical edges are 3", 3.5", 4" & 8". One is modeled as a whole, but the other is modeled as 2 separate pyramid. Their volume should be exactly the same, right? but they are not. why?????? could not figure it out.
any help?
thanks
utc
When you create the form as single element the surface is 'warped'. If you create it as two separate halves the center valley is a straight line so the volume would be slightly different.

utakecare2003
2012-03-27, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the late reply.
I use the form to get the volume. This ditch is for holding oil and the client asked to have it to hold more than a certain amount of oil so we have to figure out if the curb is high enough. So the two masses I modeled in different ways gave different #. Seems the 1st mass (which is the straightforward way to make it) does not give the right number. Wonder where I modeled incorrectly?
Thanks a lot
utc

Not sure what you are after here. Is the form you are trying to model what was in the attachment? A Pyramid with a triangular bottom (a 3 sided pyramid?) so it wouldn't have four sides:?
What are you using the form for? Is it to create a roof by face? Is it an object (in which case, why use a mass?)

When you create the form as single element the surface is 'warped'. If you create it as two separate halves the center valley is a straight line so the volume would be slightly different.

Revitaoist
2012-03-27, 05:36 PM
This type of stuff is better done in CAD. Just type in "pyramid", then, "massprop" for volume, then import it to a family to see if it works with your building/site

Alfredo Medina
2012-03-28, 01:08 PM
This type of stuff is better done in CAD. Just type in "pyramid", then, "massprop" for volume, then import it to a family to see if it works with your building/site

But the question is about how to do this, parametric, in Revit.

LP Design
2012-03-29, 07:20 PM
I did something very similar to this in order to make a roof cricket. It is not 100% accurate, but pretty darn close.

Use a swept blend made out of two triangles. The first one will be the base, the second one will be suuuuper tiny (as small as Revit will let you without breaking) for the top point. Using this method you can assign reference planes and parameters to each base point and a height to the top point. Essentially the end result is the tetrahedron you are looking for, minus just a bit of corner.

-LP

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-02, 02:52 PM
Question for the administrators: is it possible with this version of VBulletin, to include videos in replies? For example, I would like to reply with a video to this thread. I know that I can do that with VBulletin 4.1.7 ; I see that you have installed 4.1.11. Therefore, why is the advanced editor not available?

Another question: how can I permanently change the default display of threads from "last day"? I used to dislike that option in the previous version, but even with this new version, I still have to change the settings to display threads of at least "last week" or "last month", but when I visit the forum again it keeps going back to show only "last day". Is there a way to fix that preference?

By the way, thanks for upgrading!

EDIT: In the lower portion of the page it says that [Video] code is on. Probably that means that I can insert a video by typing the tags. The question still remains about the icons of the advanced editor, that should be included in this version of VBulletin.

dkoch
2012-04-04, 12:29 AM
From what I have read, the initial upgrade only implemented the features that were previously available. Once those are found to be working and any issues addressed, then they plan to work on adding additional features. I do not know whether or not that will include inserting videos in replies.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-04, 02:02 PM
From what I have read, the initial upgrade only implemented the features that were previously available. Once those are found to be working and any issues addressed, then they plan to work on adding additional features. I do not know whether or not that will include inserting videos in replies.

I think it should work. Let me try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9s2ACBom8

It works. There is no button to post videos, but we can use the tags.