PDA

View Full Version : 2012 custom wall structure - insulation

ccenergy
2012-03-19, 04:34 PM
I'm trying to duplicate a CMU wall, and add rigid insulboard.

I know that I can just use the insulation tool to insulate exterior walls, but I need more flexibility in applying materials to the finished walls... so...

I took an "Exterior CMU Uninsulated" wall, duplicated it, renamed "Exterior CMU Insulated", and went in to edit the layers (to add a layer of insulboard).

I added a "Thermal/Air layer", and applied thickness, but I don't know how to add properties to it (R value, specifically). If "rigid insulation board" were an option when I open the Materials dialog, I'm sure it would contain R values, but I can't see it listed. Is there any way I can load an existing "insulation board" into my new wall family (under "Type Properties - Structure - Edit" ) that already has R-value/thickness parameters included already?

Thanks!

nancy.mcclure
2012-03-19, 07:00 PM
ccenergy,
Each material in your project palette has Identity data associated to it. Create a project parameter of R-Value, (Instance), and assign to the category of Materials. Then you will see that custom parameter appear in the Materials palette Identity tab for each material in your project. Won't do the accumulated thickness calculation for you, but you can set that up in a wall schedule, calculating the R-value by a custom parameter where you enter in the insulation thickness (that can't be auto-read from the wall type, unfortunately).

For elements, add a U-Value project parameter and associate to doors, windows, etc.

Hope that helps!

ccenergy
2012-03-19, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Nancy. That seemed to work. Still learning the ins/outs of the Materials tabs...