PDA

View Full Version : Workset permission to release

anthony.67953
2005-01-26, 03:05 PM
While working with worksets every so often I send a request to another user to release an object or a workset. The program asks to send the request and I do. The request never reaches the other user. Has anyone experienced this?

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-26, 03:10 PM
Are you saying that they don't have an edit request waiting when they click?

FILE>EDITING REQUESTS

aaronrumple
2005-01-26, 03:24 PM
There is no automatic pop-up on the other machine notifying them of a request. The factory outlined in another thread what was going on in the background.

What I would like to see is this tied into instant messenger. User makes a request. Revit request is logged on the requesting system and the central file. The requesting system queries a database of users on the server and then IM's the person that must grant permission.

anthony.67953
2005-01-26, 03:30 PM
I will put a request in at the Factory to get this operational

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-26, 03:55 PM
...What I would like to see is this tied into instant messenger...I'd be content to have a "flashing" light bulb on the options bar to indicate an incoming request. I don't really want to have to worry (meaning support problems) about Revit tying into a secondary system of communication.

aaronrumple
2005-01-26, 04:08 PM
Actually the flashing icon was an issue as noted by the factory with network traffic. Requests are submitted to the server on the central file - not directly to the person you are requesting information from. They only get notified if they reload worksets or otherwise connect to the central file. If you wanted the icon to flash, it would require all the users to be constantly pinging the central file to check for requests - and that's a lot of traffic that could slow things down. To keep performance up some separate parallel system is going to be needed whether that is built by ADSK or something completely external. With ADSK and MS now in a patent sharing relationship - IM seems a natural fit for this task.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-26, 05:42 PM
Actually the flashing icon was an issue as noted by the factory with network traffic.We discussed this during a Client Advisory mtg awhile ago...whether it's a little flashing light or some IM methodology, the simpler the better.

bclarch
2005-01-26, 08:44 PM
I have heard that some firms limit or disable instant messaging to keep their employees from chatting with friends all day. A "Revit to Revit" solution would sidestep this issue.

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-26, 09:19 PM
On the other hand some of our firms require their staff to register their work e-mail addresses with MS Passport. Only work related contacts are allowed. Gives senior staff an easy way to see who's at their desks and hit them with questions.

Also allows the cryptic but pertinent message "ER" to be sent to other members of the Revit project team at key moments...

dbaldacchino
2005-07-21, 02:55 AM
Guys,

We run instant messenger in our office and between offices. This way, once you place a request, you can easily message the person you want to check out something from to grant you permission. This, of course, is a work-around. As far as I know, ArchiCad has a messaging function built in where people get notified that someone sent a request and also functions as a messaging tool.

patricks
2005-07-21, 07:04 PM
Having used worksets for some time now, this issue makes me glad I work in a 4-person office. I just use the original form of instant messaging - yell across the room "Yo! Lemme edit this!!" :p