PDA

View Full Version : Extrusion between picked points

dct73
2012-03-27, 09:59 PM
I want to setup a family that will extrude a sketch between two grid lines that I pick. Plus I want the extrusion to start and end 3/8" off the picked grid lines. Can anybody help me out here?

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-03-27, 10:08 PM
You'll want to create a new family using the Generic Model Line Based template.
Essentially it is reference line that defines a straight line path. The path length is controlled with an instance parameter and is placed in the project with two clicks (similar approach to the insulation tool on the annotation toolbar).
To build in the offset you'll need to add reference planes at either end of the sweep path and lock your extruded geometry to those planes.

dct73
2012-03-29, 01:38 AM
Thanks Dimitri. I never used the generic model line based template before. I'll make some time to try it out Thursday.

dct73
2012-03-29, 05:31 PM
Oh, that works nice, thank you. I still have two issues. I can't seem to get it to place anywhere other than on a face. Is there a setting to change that?

Second thing is I put two reference planes (called left end & right end) inside the templates planes to account for the offset. I dimensioned the two new reference planes from the templates ref. planes. Then I sketched the outline on plane "left end" and extruded to end point "right end". When I use the family it makes my part the same length no matter where I click. Any ideas?

JohnCAVogt
2012-03-29, 06:13 PM
1. It's a model line, it needs a plane to draw it on. You can place it on the work plane that is current to the view - look at the ribbon. Why that's not the default is beyond me.

2. All I can think of is that you didn't lock the extrusion to the plane. Did you flex the model in the family editor?

dct73
2012-03-29, 08:25 PM
Hey! I think I got it. Thanks everyone.