PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Anyone interested in a parametric curtain wall?

rbcameron1
2012-03-28, 12:36 AM
I'm looking for some help in determining a height of a panel in a curtain wall that can be parametrically controlled from one end to the other.

I'm trying to get a custom curtain wall panel to follow a curve in elevation. So if that's not possible, stop me now. (Image1.jpg) I've got them to the point where they are instance parameters so I can individually change their heights. I want a formula so they are controlled by numerical input or possibly an invisible line I can tug up and down. Sort of that Zach Kron type of stuff.

The project is for a 600'-0" bridge. 160 individual curtain panels on the side. They need to stay on the girder off the bridge, but dynamically change their height so they aren't all equal. The second image shows the angular curtain panel on a straight line hovering above the bridge. Each was painstakingly adjusted....not para-metrically.

Anyone have an ideas?

-rbc

rbcameron1
2012-03-28, 12:41 AM
Should have uploaded these images too. Saw this in Metal Arch Dec. 2011 issue. Not trying to copy it, but in some form I'd like to produce this in Revit. The design revisions would go a lot quicker if I were able to parametrically control it rather than me inputing each sliver of panel...

Thanks to anyone out there

-rbc

damon.sidel
2012-03-28, 12:27 PM
I think what you want is in the Conceptual Design Tools. You can create a surface that follows that shape you want in elevation, then subdivide it and apply a panel that follows it. If you want even more control over it, you could create a series of them, then control them through some formulas. There was a Vasari Talk (can do the same in Revit) just last week on this subject:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vasari/enu/Community/Tutorials/Vasari_Talk_-_Design_and_Analysis_Webinars/Session_11_-_Formula_Foo

You may also find this post very helpful on Zach Kron's website:

http://buildz.blogspot.com/2011/06/placing-and-numbering-lots-of-stuff.html

Alfredo Medina
2012-03-28, 01:05 PM
Does not seem to be complex. First you need a couple of arcs, controlled by parameters, then make a surface, then divide the surface, then design a panel, then apply panels to the surface. Then, if the values of the parameter change, everything updates.