PDA

View Full Version : newbee question, plumbing & isometric

framedNlv
2012-04-13, 06:41 PM
Does MEP draw plumbing in 3d for isometric views? If so, can someone show (post) me an example or point me to one?

Thanks,
Chris

stykface
2012-04-15, 03:02 PM
Does MEP draw plumbing in 3d for isometric views? If so, can someone show (post) me an example or point me to one?

Thanks,
ChrisYes, and no.

Yes, because you can use single-line graphical display for plumbing pipes in a rotated 3D isometric view (using Piping objects, not Plumbing objects). There will be some limitations to the way the linework will be represented though, since they are AEC Objects and not vanilla AutoCAD line/pline entities so you'll lose some control in how it's represented.

No, because I'm assuming you'll want to make standard isometric plumbing views that we in the mechanical industry is used to. There's not really an "easy button" so you'll have to give it a shot and find you're own way of doing things. Your best bet would probably be to use the Schematic option as it gives you the Isometric drawing tools. Reference here: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/search#WS46b90c3cb2c58cad1e9cb75fe2b299e1a-7ff6.htm

There are also some Isometric plumbing fixtures already in place but it's not as extensive as the regular Plumbing components.

framedNlv
2012-04-16, 05:15 PM
Thanks,
Please forgive my ignorance with this as I've spent the last eleven years doing Electrical drafting. I guess I'm confused about the whole Plumbing vs. Piping thing. I'm not sure what the intention for the two are, could you please explain?

Again, thanks...
Chris

stykface
2012-04-16, 05:39 PM
Thanks,
Please forgive my ignorance with this as I've spent the last eleven years doing Electrical drafting. I guess I'm confused about the whole Plumbing vs. Piping thing. I'm not sure what the intention for the two are, could you please explain?

Again, thanks...
ChrisSure. There are several different "Workspaces" in AutoCAD MEP. There is a "Piping" Workspace and a "Plumbing" Workspace. If you go into the Style Manager, you'll even notice there's a distinct category for Piping Objects and Plumbing Objects. The reason why I articulated this in my first post is because there are clear differences between the two. For starters, the Plumbing objects are 2D symbolic linework, but they are "intelligent". The Piping objects are the actual 3D piping and fittings objects for all your 3D plumbing and piping design needs.

framedNlv
2012-04-16, 06:05 PM
For starters, the Plumbing objects are 2D symbolic linework, but they are "intelligent". The Piping objects are the actual 3D piping and fittings objects for all your 3D plumbing and piping design needs.

That helps alot. When I was watching some of the youtube videos, I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I'm going to see what I can figure out with the Piping.

Thanks!
Chris