PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Symbols - Too Much Information

nickedemus
2012-04-16, 04:52 PM
My boss modified the elevation symbol so that it only showed the drawing number in plan:

However, something changed after I compacted our central file, and the elevation symbols are now showing waaay too much information:
My boss does not remember how he changed the elevation symbol the first time. Does anyone know the trick to this?

Thanks.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-16, 05:09 PM
My boss modified the elevation symbol so that it only showed the drawing number in plan:
However, something changed after I compacted our central file, and the elevation symbols are now showing waaay too much information:
My boss does not remember how he changed the elevation symbol the first time. Does anyone know the trick to this?

nickedemus
2012-04-16, 05:29 PM
Thanks, but maybe I wasn't clear about the issue that I'm having. I'd like to get rid of all of the excessive text that appears with my elevation symbol, and just show the drawing number.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-16, 05:39 PM
Is it not exactly what the image shows?

nickedemus
2012-04-16, 05:41 PM
Yes, but when I do it, nothing changes.

cliff collins
2012-04-16, 05:54 PM
Perhaps the Tag is reading the NAME of the views, not the Number?

nickedemus
2012-04-16, 06:17 PM
It seems to be reading the detail number and the view name. If this were a window tag, I'd be able to change it by editing the family... but I can't figure out how to edit this family. :(

cliff collins
2012-04-16, 06:25 PM
Try changing it to another Elevation Type--just as a test, and see if it still reads both the name and number.

If not, it something wrong with the tag. If it does, then it's something else--perhaps the Callout Tag which is a part of the complete Elevation Tag.

Another good test is to start a new project, draw a quick wall, place an elevation tag, place the view on a sheet and see what happens.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-17, 11:54 AM
Yes, but when I do it, nothing changes.

Are you following the steps indicated in the image, or are you just selecting the elevation symbol and editing its properties?

nickedemus
2012-04-17, 01:32 PM
Are you following the steps indicated in the image, or are you just selecting the elevation symbol and editing its properties?

I went to Manage >> Additional Settings >> Elevation Tags. Then I came to this window, with the following options available to me:

I tried a bunch of different combinations. Nothing changes.
The weird thing is, whenever I open that dialog, "Type" always reads '1/2" Square,' even after I change it to '1/2" Circle.' And the "Apply" button is always grayed out.

Try changing it to another Elevation Type--just as a test, and see if it still reads both the name and number.

If not, it something wrong with the tag. If it does, then it's something else--perhaps the Callout Tag which is a part of the complete Elevation Tag.

Another good test is to start a new project, draw a quick wall, place an elevation tag, place the view on a sheet and see what happens.

I created a new drawing, and the tags in this drawing are behaving properly. In addition, I have more options available to me when I go to Manage >> Additional Settings >> Elevation Tags:

How do I load these tags back into my current project?

LP Design
2012-04-17, 01:43 PM
Alfredo's instructions are correct, you just need to follow that with an extra step. After going into settings to determine the family name, go to the project browser and find that annotation family of the same name, eg. "Elevation Mark Body_Circle : Filled Arrow" and edit that family.

Select one of the nested arrows and check that its type properties do NOT have "View Name" checked. This might be a bit different depending on how your elevation bubble is set up, but it should be similar.

-LP

nickedemus
2012-04-17, 02:05 PM
Are you in Revit Architecture 2013? I don't see any of these options in my dialogs.

LP Design
2012-04-17, 02:28 PM
Nope, running 2012. What version are you using?

I think you may just be running into a problem with the sequence of steps. Let me try to describe it step by step and see if this helps.

1. First check your elevation settings.

2. Don't change anything in this dialog, just use it to identify the name of the elevation marker family.

3. Find the matching family in your browser and click Edit Family.

4. Once in the family editor, select one of the individual elevation arrows and go to Type Properties.

5. Uncheck the "View Name" parameter. This is what allows the tag to show the full text of each elevation view.

6. Now just load these changes back into your project.

Hope this helps,
-LP

nickedemus
2012-04-17, 02:42 PM
Thanks! I get it now....

However, I just followed your instructions, and while it worked perfectly in the family editor, the changes did not cross over into my project when I loaded the family back in. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. :banghead::banghead::banghead: I just edited and reloaded a sink family, and it worked fine. Any ideas?

I'm using 2013, by the way.

Steve_Stafford
2012-04-17, 03:01 PM
Try editing the properties of the family in the project directly, look in the project browser under families. Find the same families there and open the type properties. Chances are when you reloaded the family you didn't or Revit didn't overwrite the parameter value.

nickedemus
2012-04-17, 05:45 PM
You mean this way, right?

^That's the way that I was going about it.

But my boss ended up opening the family directly from the Imperial folder, editing it according to what the folks here have suggested, and loading that into the project.

It worked.

Maybe the original family got corrupted when I compressed the central file?

Steve_Stafford
2012-04-17, 06:10 PM
Yes, I believe so. They are complicated because of the nesting. Glad you are back on track now.

nickedemus
2012-04-17, 06:27 PM
Ok.

Well, thanks to everybody for helping me!

cliff collins
2012-04-17, 06:52 PM
Or perhaps someone Purged the file?
Be careful when purging.

nickedemus
2012-04-18, 01:39 PM
Yes, I did purge the file while compacting.