PDA

View Full Version : Wall layer widths

Bobby C. Jones
2012-04-18, 03:21 PM
Is there any way to determine widths of the vaious layers in a wall from inside a wall hosted family? Specifically I'm trying to determine the Core width from inside a window family. Thanks.

david_peterson
2012-04-18, 03:54 PM
Can you simply tab to select the wall, go to props pallet and edit type, edit structure..... to see what the layers are? I know this is what I do with linked models.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-18, 04:01 PM
Is there any way to determine widths of the vaious layers in a wall from inside a wall hosted family? Specifically I'm trying to determine the Core width from inside a window family. Thanks.

Various layers, I don't think so, because the number of layers varies from wall to wall; but at least the width of the whole core, yes. In the wall based family, you need to modify the sample wall adding layers outside of the core, then measure the width of the core, and convert that dimension into an instance reporting parameter. When you place the family in a project, on a wall, and select the family, this parameter will report the width of the core of the host wall.

Bobby C. Jones
2012-04-18, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys! I edited the wall and added layers outside the core. I couldn't get it to show the layers in the family editor nor could I get a dimension to snap to the face of the core, but I did get one to the center of the core, which works out just fine.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-18, 04:42 PM
... I couldn't get it to show the layers in the family editor ...

What do you mean by that?

Bobby C. Jones
2012-04-18, 05:09 PM
What do you mean by that?

Oh good gosh, nevermind. I had the view set to Course, duh!

Bobby C. Jones
2012-04-18, 05:10 PM
Oh good gosh, nevermind. I had the view set to Course, duh!

And by course I mean coarse, of course.

Bobby C. Jones
2012-04-19, 04:04 PM
Well, after further experimentation, this is a no go. Simply flipping a wall causes any constraints to the core to become very unpredictable. <sigh>