PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Ability to Tag Groups?

Spork
2012-04-20, 07:03 PM
Hi All,

I'm a relatively inexperienced Revit user, pretty new to this forum, and this is my first topic!

My question is this: is it possible to create a Tag that reads the name of a Group?

For example, I am working on window types (in the traditional architectural understanding of the term, not what Revit means by "type") by creating a Group of the window (which is actually curtainwall or storefront, and therefore technically a wall). I then label the group "CXX", or "SXX", etc., depending on whether it is cw or stft., and copy/paste that into a dummy plan/elevation, where then it can be put on our window type sheet. From there, I tag it, but the only way that I can to get it to read the name of the type is to modify the typical window tag to read walls, and call out the "Comments" section of the instance. Then I fill in the same name of the group, CXX or SXX, in the wall's Comments box, which the tag then reads and displays.

The obvious problems with this are twofold. First, if the name of the type needs to change, I have to change it in two places (Group name & in the Comments section). Also, the Comments section can be redundant, i.e. I could have several types that accidentally have the same name (unlike Groups, which cannot).

I can think of two ways to solve my problem in a "smart" way.

Create a tag that reads the name of the Group, and not worry about manually filling anything in the Comments section.
Somehow get the Comments section to automatically fill in the name of the Group, and continue tagging as I have been.

Or if there is a completely different workaround, I'd love to hear about that too. I appreciate the collective wisdom of this board, and any help you can give me.

damon.sidel
2012-04-20, 08:03 PM
If you are using these grouped curtain wall elements all over the place, why not create a family? Start with a generic model, switch it's category to window and then bring it in. Then you can tag it with a window tag.

rosskirby
2012-04-20, 08:53 PM
There isn't a way to tag actual groups, but here's one workaround:

Create a generic model family called "Group name". Don't build any geometry into it, just add some symbolic lines in a plan view so that it's visible/selectable (a dot will sufice). Then add a shared parameter to that family and to your project called "Group Name", and make sure it's an instance text parameter.

Now create a generic annotation family that will be your Group Name tag, and load the shared parameter into that as well, and make a label, etc. (all the steps for making a tag). Load both the Group Name model family and the Group Name tag family into your project.

For every group, include an instance of this Group Name family, and tag that. That's the best I've come up with so far.