PDA

View Full Version : Dome Surface Area

ddunn1191576
2012-04-25, 04:38 AM
I created a Dome for a Client that has a radius for the surface of the dome that does NOT lie on the axis of revolution, causing the dome to be slightly pointed at the top. The Company creating the tiles for the dome surface has requested the surface area of the dome. I created the dome in RAC 2012 and it was very complex, what with about 10,000 tiles on it. So I re-created a simplified version of just the shape of the dome, revolved around the axis. I pick the dome and the properties box does NOT list surface area, but does list VOLUME... at least in RAC2013, not sure if it even listed that in RAC2012. I then exported it both as Surfaces and as ACIS Solids to Acad and looked at both file there. It also does NOT list surface area.

Then I went into ACAD and created the dome from scratch there, both as a Mass Element, then converted to Solid, then to Surfaces. None of those 3 types of entities listed the surface area either.

Does anyone know of a program that I can export the file to that would actually lsit the surface area of a non-spherical dome? It is NOT an ellipse either, more like an arc that is revolved around an axis that is not at the center point of the arc. I can send the Revit file to anyone who needs to try and help, and can also post the AutoCAD files as well.

Thanks

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-04-25, 06:52 AM
Create a mass in the shape of the dome, apply a roof by face and you should get an area of the roof. I'm guessing that should be close enough for your tile sub to estimate quantities.

Edit: both 2012 and 2013 give you a gross surface area for a mass without needing the roof.

Alfredo Medina
2012-04-25, 02:59 PM
Create a mass in the shape of the dome, apply a roof by face and you should get an area of the roof. ...

Excellent, simple solution!

Also, a divided surface in the conceptual design environment, reports the area in the Properties window.