PDA

View Full Version : Hide Values in Window Schedule

the_r_sole
2012-05-09, 09:00 AM
I am working on a Window schedule atm - the window families are fairly complex (three different cill options, options for surrounds and lintel etc etc)
I am trying to get the window schedule to read correctly for the options, we have lintels controlled in the model with a yes/no parameter which works fine - the issue is with the schedule, not all windows have the decorative lintel so the yes/no parameter is in the schedule along with the dimensions of the lintel - however the dimensions show for all windows even when there is no lintel - I've had a play with some IF conditions but it doesn't seem to like that approach, any suggestions?

what i was trying was IF(LINTEL, LintelX, 0) where LINTEL is the yes/no and LintelX is the length dimension
I've thought about blacking the cell out with the schedule formatting but it's going to eat a lot of ink!

thechunkygentleman
2012-05-09, 10:26 AM
You could achieve this with a schedule key. Create one for lintel styles which populates the fields you need. You might need to have 'fake' dimension parameters though or rather double up on them as you will still need them to drive geometry in your families even if that geometry isnt visible.

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 11:32 AM
You're talking about a Family parameter, which the project will not read unless it's a Shared Parameter. If you make it a Shared Parameter then the schedule could see "LINTEL" and you can simply use the filters in the schedule to show all but "LINTEL". If you don't want to both with a Shared Parameter, I used the "Type Comment" or "Comment" to say something specific which I could then use to Filter it out in the schedule.

the_r_sole
2012-05-09, 11:36 AM
the Yes/no parameter and the lintel dims are instance parameters in the family - they show in the schedule, the problem isn't getting them to show up, it's getting them not to show when they are not in use!

And I still need to show all the windows in the same schedule, I can't have a different schedule for every window..

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 01:27 PM
Are you talking about showing the window in the schedule, but blanking out a certain cell? I'm not really understanding your goal. To remove entire rows you need to filter it out. If you want to make a cell show the lintel's dimension or a "0", then you'll probably need to use a new parameter in the schedule that's a calculated value and is text. The formula would be pretty much what you typed out.

the_r_sole
2012-05-09, 02:08 PM
I have a window schedule for all the windows in my model - the schedule shows all details of the window, some of the windows have a precast lintel over them, some do not, these details need to be in the schedule.
There is a column for Lintel, which is a yes/no parameter, that works fine - The size of the Lintel also has to appear in the schedule, which it does however the size of the lintel also shows on the windows no matter the state of the yes/no parameter i.e.
window 1 - Lintel (yes) - Lintel Width 1905
window 2 - Lintel (no) - Lintel Width 1905

what i need to do is stop the schedule reporting the dimensions for a lintel which isn't switched on

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 02:58 PM
OK, yeah, you want a "Calculated Value..." in your schedule. Make a new Calculated Value with the formula: "if(Lintel,Lintel Width,0mm)" make sure the Calculated Value's type is "Length". Then hide the Lintel column and the "Lintel Width" column in the schedule so all you see is the calculated value of 1905mm or 0mm.

I attached a screenshot of something similar to, hopefully, help.

patricks
2012-05-09, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you can make the cell be blank if there is no lintel for that window. It's either going to show the lintel width if there is one, or zero if there is not one. I'm not for sure but I don't think you can set a text parameter to display the value of a length parameter using formulas, since Revit sees it as separate, different types of information.

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately I don't think you can make the cell be blank if there is no lintel for that window. It's either going to show the lintel width if there is one, or zero if there is not one. I'm not for sure but I don't think you can set a text parameter to display the value of a length parameter using formulas, since Revit sees it as separate, different types of information.

Correct, you won't be able to make it blank, only "0".

the_r_sole
2012-05-09, 03:50 PM
zero would be fine, it's just to save confusion when tendering the works!
tried the formula, pretty much what i had tried before but it just gives an inconsistent units warning...
cheers for the help tho

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 04:00 PM
zero would be fine, it's just to save confusion when tendering the works!
tried the formula, pretty much what i had tried before but it just gives an inconsistent units warning...
cheers for the help tho

inconsistent units means you didn't set the Calculated Value's Type to "Length". and make sure you give a unit to the "0" whether its mm or feet.

the_r_sole
2012-05-09, 04:05 PM
I have a feeling it may be something to do with the names of the things i'm trying to add to the formula;
the yes/no parameter is called Lintel
the length is "Lintel - Extension"

so this is the formula= if(Lintel, "Lintel - Extension", 0 mm)
inconsistent units, have tried it with all the different ones i need (lintel height, depth, extension etc)

ttiefenbach
2012-05-09, 04:53 PM
drop your quotes in the formula, that's probably what's messing it up, as long as it's still Length.

Edit: Is that one parameter of Lintel-Extension, or a subtraction problem. Is it's one parameter and has a dash in it, you'll need to get rid of the dash from the parameter name and reload it. Revit thinks you're trying to do a subtraction problem of "Lintel" minus "Extension".

the_r_sole
2012-05-10, 07:57 AM
i tried renaming the parameter to lintelExt, and loaded it into a test model, so that it was only one window to schedule (rather than lots of different ones that might confuse it) still gave me inconsistent units - funnily enough if I use the basic "Height" parameter in the formula it works ok, but i can't see any difference between the way both of them are set up.

(actually I seem to have made it work by repeating the renaming process!)

thanks for your help, have a pint on me! :beer:

ttiefenbach
2012-05-10, 11:06 AM
thanks for your help, have a pint on me! :beer:

You're welcome and I will.