PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Location on a surface

damon.sidel
2012-05-10, 01:27 PM
Is there a way to report the (u,v) location on a surface? I'd like to tell a pattern-based component to adjust based on its position on the surface. Here's a simple example: Given a rectangular pattern, change the height of a rectangular panel as U and V increase. Any thoughts? I'd like to do it in Revit, but if I can't, I'll have to resort to a script in Rhino or Grasshopper.

sbrown
2012-05-10, 02:09 PM
Panels will do that automatically, they align with the divisions.

damon.sidel
2012-05-10, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I understand that the panels will adjust their shape based on the divisions of the surface. I'm looking for added functionality like this: http://fk3d.de/archives/75/surface_01. Each block seems to follow a surface at the bottom, but the height changes. If the surface is subdivided 100x100, I'd like to say that the height (or some other parameter) is determined by it's coordinates on the surface based on a formula. Another architectural example might be a Ned Kahn wind wall: control the rotation of the flap out of plane based on a force vector formula.

crullier
2012-06-16, 02:13 PM
I am pretty sure you can create an adaptive point and set is orientation to be perpendicular to placement, but that is only part of the solution.
The examples you provide were probably done in Rhino + GH. It would be interesting to replicate in Revit though.