PDA

View Full Version : Illustrating wall types

jarod.tulanowski
2005-01-27, 08:36 PM
I have a general question. I am trying to create an intelligent wall detail horizontally (see attached image of what I am trying to do). I tried to do it as a legend, but detailing in a legend is just pointless. A section shows up everywhere, and a Callouts is just a pain,

the legend had so much potential, but every time I think I have a way of using them other that just for annotation, forget it.

My best solution that I have is to do the detail as a drafting view, and then place it on a sheet. after that create keyed notes for the different types and label them on the sheet. I just wish that there is a way of placing it and if the wall changes so does the detail similar to a vertical wall section.

any suggestions?

aaronrumple
2005-01-27, 08:37 PM
Drafting View.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-01-27, 08:43 PM
oops I was editing my string as you were adding your comment aaron. so you are agreeing with my solution? I still feel that this is a workaround to all the detail you get from a wall section. It seems I am loosing the power of Revit by doing it this way.

JamesVan
2005-01-28, 09:29 PM
Typical details are typical details...which is to say that a 'typical detail' doesn't change. IMHO, you should develop a library of standard wall type details (as groups) which can be added to any project and should become part of your template.

jarod.tulanowski
2005-01-31, 06:17 PM
still seems like you are doing a workaround. what you are saying is that I should use general details for a wall section. well in that case I would just do it in cad now wouldn't I. The reason Revit is so powerfully is the relationship between one thing to another. by doing the typical detail option I have defeated that purpose. Not trying to be blunt, I am just still trying to sell Revit to our company that uses cad. this is not a good selling point.

Thanks everyone for the info though.

P.S. the legend option is aw some for wall types but be a great future solution. but the problem right now is that they are not true to scale. just try and add some detail to it (2x4) and then zoom in and out. wow what a cluster of **** when you do this.

JamesVan
2005-01-31, 06:42 PM
I agree that the Legend functionality needs a little more refinement (like being able to snap Detail Components to the wall samples or tag them), but I sense that there's a bit of 'sales strategy' happening on a different level here. If your management bases a gigantic decision like Revit vs. Archicad vs. Triforma based on features at this level, I think you're missing the big picture. There is not one platform out there that does 100% of what we want as Architects or Engineers, but all of them accomplish a decent percentage of a variety of tasks. Revit offers ease of use and bi-directional associativity, Triforma offers a more flexible free-form modeling environment, Archicad currently offers better interoperability. I would look at these variables, then make a decision to attempt a pilot project to see what REALLY works and doesn't work in an actual project environment.

Hope that helps your cause a little.

Remember, step 1: To BIM, or not to BIM?

JamesVan
2005-01-31, 06:44 PM
P.S. the legend option is aw some for wall types but be a great future solution. but the problem right now is that they are not true to scale. just try and add some detail to it (2x4) and then zoom in and out. wow what a cluster of **** when you do this.
By the way, how are you adding the "detail" here? Lines? Detail components?

Zooming in and out? You mean dynamic zooming?