PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Assembly Schedule - structural opening

thom.chesshyre597061
2012-05-11, 04:04 PM
Hi,

I'm new here. Apologies if this has been asked before - I'm sure it has as it seems to be a fundamental thing.

What I need to do:

I have a building with strip windows made up of individual frames. I need to be able to schedule the following:
1. Window number
2. 'Group' (or opening) number
3. Window dimensions
4. Group (or opening) dimensions (structural opening)

I have modelled this situation by using individual windows as families, grouped together into an assembly. So far, I have worked out how to get a schedule showing window number, window dimensions and assembly number, but it seems like there is no way of extracting the overall structural opening.

Can anyone think of a neat way of doing this?

My only idea, which seems clunky and counter-intuitive, would be to create a 'dummy' window type which consists of just an opening with width/height as instance parameters, which can then be locked to the outer edges of the windows, and then scheduled separately. However, apart from being weird, this would have the added disadvantage that the constituent window frames would not 'know' which opening they were part of.

I can see that the other way to achieve this would be to go back to square one and re-model all the openings as curtain walls with windows as panels, although for obvious reasons I am loathed to do this (not least because we have to freeze structural openings on our model in 2 days time!)

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thom

dkoch
2012-05-12, 09:08 PM
Not sure this is any better than your other suggestions, but you might be able to get what you want by making a Window family for the overrall window size, and then using a shared, nested family (or families, if you need more than one) for the individual lights. By making the nested families shared, you can schedule them separately from the overall family. (Getting all that to work in two days may be pushing things a bit.)