PDA

View Full Version : importing CAD

diesellam
2012-05-21, 11:28 PM
I got a 3d model in dwg format.

I imported it into Revit Architecture.

I came in as 1 entity. I tried to partial explode/full explode it and it became some single lines only.

What's the reason of it?

Thanks in advance.

pfaudler
2012-05-22, 07:47 AM
No reason. this is how Revit works. You CANNOT explode 3D DWG. You either use it as is (recommend bring in generic model family category) or rebuild it in Revit form scratch.

MikeJarosz
2012-05-23, 08:50 PM
Revit is an object oriented program, meaning that it manipulates well defined building objects with real material properties. The objects in Revit are doors, windows, roofs, floors etc. Non-objects such as lines and polygons are kept to a minimum in Revit and are discouraged. One can build a perfect building model in Revit without ever using a line or other primitive.

Most likely, your dwg file was a surface model made with polygons, lines, circles or other primitives without any properties to distinguish them. Which lines are walls? Which polygons are roofs? Are some lines wall and some line doors? Which of the 35,000 polygons is the countertop in the kitchen? Do you see the difference? Your dwg model is a rendering. There is no way the dwg data can be converted into a model in Revit. Be happy that you can bring it in at all.