PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Hexagon Roof by In-Place Family

lukaszredel
2012-05-22, 11:54 AM
Hello
I'm trying to create a hexagonal roof by In-Place Family, using sweep along top of the walls and 250mm profile on top of the glulams (see attached)
I tried to use massing to create separate triangles and use roof by face, group them but it's not ideal. I would like to have it in one piece.

The problem is that after creating that roof I can't make a gutter on it or fascia, is it because is an in-place? also it has only one material, can I get normal roof layers?
What is the best way to build that roof and have a normal control on it (materials, layers offsets etc.)?

Thank you for any response and help.
cheers

sbrown
2012-05-22, 02:03 PM
What if you made the curved part the fascia. So your roof is a true roof, it is just offset toward the center to allow for the curved shape to be added as a fascia profile?

lukaszredel
2012-05-22, 02:38 PM
Thanks Scott.
It's not a bad idea, however on the curved part of the roof where the fascia would sit I won't see the roof layers anyway, will I? It's going to be only on straight line where true roof is.
What I've just done is:
I created a roof as In-Place family based on sweep. Then to create roof layers I offset the roof and changed the sweep profile to indicate different roof layers. Also, with previous roof I couldn't make it room bounding, now I can.
For gutter, I used another In-Place family on hex sweep, with gutter profile. I know it's not a good practice to have a lot in-place families in, but in this case it's only hex building to deal with.

Alfredo Medina
2012-05-22, 04:03 PM
It is better to do a family with the generic model adaptive template, where you can have control over the height of the points in relation to the base level of the roof. The straight segments are reference lines, and the curved segments are splines of 3 points. Then, this family is loaded into a project, where you can use Roof by Face on one sixth of the form, and then make a radial array of that portion. Now the roof is a roof, is room bounding, is one piece, and it can have the correct material layers. Oh, and if the shape changes, you can edit the generic family by parameters, and edit the array to update to face.

lukaszredel
2012-05-22, 04:12 PM
Thanks Alfredo!
Sounds reasonable, I will give a go tomorrow.
Cheers