PDA

View Full Version : Naming of Detail Components

Duncan Lithgow
2012-05-27, 12:42 AM
We're about to start using Detail Components in our details (they've been very Detail Line heavy so far) and obviously we see a need to organize them. It looks like we're going with a material based system of under 10 folders (material based as opposed to based on wall details, floor details, roof details for example). I have two questions

1. What do people here think about organizing based on materials?
2. What about naming the Detail Components themselves?

My thoughts on organizing Detail Components is rather split

By Material: If we organize by material we risk never being able to make useful Detail Components with more than one material, or at least if we make them we start creating confusion about where they go and where they can be found. Am I being silly? Should a Detail Component always be at such a detailed level that which material is primary is blindingly obvious?

By Function: Seems like this would be silly as the same material can have many functions.

By Building Component: This is the only way of organizing which in Denmark where I work has a standard. It's called SfB, has been around for ages and divides things up into sitework, primary elements (wall, floor), completion elements (door, window) and surface elements (floorboards, tiles). I think it's a fine system and there are not so many many numbers that you go silly in the head. Max three digits. But again here we hit the problem that the same thing can be used in more than one place. For example a concrete sill could be the same under a window and door.

Naming the Detail Components themselves

The direction at the office is for "natural names", naming them what you'd call them. I see this as a trap because the names will get too long. For example "Aluminum profile for horizontal connection between brickwork and concrete". Which will be listed happily in the folder of things made of Aluminum, or should that be Metal... Things would be better if it was named in some structure of importance like "profile_aluminum_horizontal_brick_concrete" and the natural name could be in the description parameter.

Another problems with this approach is that once listed on a server the actual address will be horrible "Aluminum%20profile%20for%20horizontal%20connection%20between%20brickwork%20and%20concrete" and even worse once we start using the three danish characters not typically supported by URLs.

Despite my reservations I'm tempted to suggest we just follow Autodesks own organizing principles with the 16 divisions they use for Detail Components. I assume the sub divisions are using omniclasses (but I haven't checked). What does your office use?

Norton_cad
2012-05-27, 04:13 AM
I like the CIBSE system, similar to what they use on the Barbour Index. The Danish equivalent is here http://www.productinformation.dk/

Overconstrained
2012-05-27, 11:00 PM
We use a numercial grouping system based on the New Zealand CBI (Construction Building Indices). To me, naming by material seems the worst option out of the three you mention. A numerical system has everything grouped together where they should be in the drop down detail component list within revit. Easy to find. By material you could have the same object made out of Alumnium or Zinc (a flashing for example) one would be at the top of the list, the other at the bottom. That doesn't make for an easy to find detail component.

LP Design
2012-05-28, 01:59 PM
It's interesting to me how the responses so far are linked so closely to the region in which we work. I think that a standards based organization is best regardless of which specific method you choose. In the US we use CSI (Construction Specifications Institute) almost exclusively. They have a number of different standards to choose from. Materials are sorted according to "MasterFormat" and building assemblies are categorized under "OmniClass". Incidentally, Omniclass is also the basis for how Revit organizes its building components (roofs, walls, floors, etc.)

I use a material based system (masterformat) because when I draw a detail I want to be able to keynote a specific component of that system, which lends itself to being separated by material. Take a window sill for example. I would have 1 detail component for gypsum board, 1 for stud framing, 1 for veneer, 1 for the window frame, etc. This makes it very easy to keynote by element which also maintains consistency across a set of drawings.

-LP

Duncan Lithgow
2012-05-28, 04:53 PM
@Norton_cad: Thanks for that link to http://www.productinformation.dk/ I've never come across it before - I am now looking closely at it. It'll be interesting to see which way ANZRS goes - any ideas?

@Overconstrained (love that reference to the plague of the Revit Family editor): Thanks that looks very similar to the existing system in Denmark SfB (which is on the way out this year). What SfB is missing is the specificity of the CBI system. SfB can only get to the level of door / window and not down to aluminium door flashing. Thanks for the tip.

@LP Design: I certainly agree that using _a_ standard is a good idea. Is seems silly thinking I can invent a better wheel than people who've played this clasification game for years. As you say things are very regional.

This is very interesting, thanks for the responses so far!

Nilasam
2017-01-04, 01:14 PM
Almost 5 years later, I am curious what the result was? What method did you end up using?

Duncan Lithgow
2017-01-04, 01:31 PM
Hi Nilasam.

We never managed to implement anything. The best examples I've seen are based on natural groupings shown graphically in a drafting view. That way the same flashing Detail component can be shown in a group of door related things and a group of blockwork related things.

Regarding SfB which you probably know well ... a group in Denmark has been working on making it more specific: bim7aa.dk

Nilasam
2017-01-04, 02:29 PM
I don't know it as such, in Sweden a system called BSAB was implemented to replace SfB in the 70s I think. Are there any national projects for standardising BIM content and codes in Denmark? BSAB has recently launched the results of what they call BSAB 2.0 which is a system adapted to BIM. BIM Alliance/BuildingSMART if you know what they are have been heavily involved in that.