PDA

View Full Version : Changing back-referencing for elevations

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-28, 05:34 PM
Here's the deal.

The view titles for some interior elevations on a project (on sheets A5.xx) I'm working on are referencing back to the site plan (on sheet A1.02). The elevation callouts weren't even created in that view. (We've created a lot of copies of views for the three or four scales that we're working with for the project.)

So I take the site plan off A1.02, and Revit finds the next view that in its mind is the back-reference for the interior elevations... page A2.09. Cool.

So I put the site plan back on A1.02 and the back reference on the view titles changes back to A1.02 :banghead:

Is there any way to get the view titles interior elevations to back-reference a sheet of your choice? or even change it all?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-28, 06:17 PM
Not sure Wes but is this the same problem described in this thread?

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=13482&highlight=elevation+reference

LRaiz
2005-01-28, 06:21 PM
I don't know of a satisfactory solution for you.

The rules for sheet back referencing do not take into account the history of view creation. This is understandable because a whoever is looking at a drawing has no idea how someone else created a particular view. The only thing that is relevant is the fact that view tag is visible in some other view (view is referenced). Based on our our understanding of common drafting practice Revit always selects a sheet with the smallest number that contains a view showing other view tag.

Had it been the other kind of view but an elevation your remedy would have been to make view tag invisible in site plan. Unfortunately 'Hide at scales coarser than' parameter is not exposed for elevations and even though 'Hide Annotation in View' command hides individual view marker it does not hide a box that groups multiple elevations together.

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-28, 06:32 PM
In our case it would be preferable if the back-referencing went to the largest sheet possible. Or better still, provide a drop box showing all the possible back-referencing sheets and being able to pick a sheet for the back-reference.

Thanks for the 'inside information', Leonid. It is very helpful to have someone describe the behaviour of the software on these matters!

If I take the low-numbered sheets and rename to a high number (A1.01 > A9.01) then Revit does indeed "re-back-reference" the interior elevation view titles to the next sheet number up (A1.02 in this case). Renumber A1.02 to A9.02 and Revit re-back-references the view titles to A2.04, and so on.

Now if I right-click on the elevation tags and hide them in the site plan view, it makes no difference. But if turn the elevation categories OFF in these views (i.e. the site plan, the context plan) the back-references do NOT reference these views (which is what you'd expect -- smart!) and therefore not the sheets they are on either.

Not sure how to make this work like WE want, but at least we know the logic behind it now.

Thanks again!