PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable repeating detail at different increments

ajtrahan
2012-06-12, 10:08 PM
Is there a way to have a family that has a repeating detail, that is adjustable at different increments per detail and that I can adj in the project file? See attached.
How would you do this or is it possible?

Thanks.

Jason

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-06-12, 10:41 PM
Jason,
can you suggest a use case for this so we know what you are trying to accomplish?

ajtrahan
2012-06-27, 08:17 PM
Maybe this will help. See attached.

I don't know how else to explain it...

antman
2012-06-27, 08:22 PM
Referencing your first image, does the array spacing need to be 10 units AND 15 units, or 10 units OR 15 units?

ajtrahan
2012-06-27, 08:24 PM
Referencing your first image, does the array spacing need to be 10 units AND 15 units, or 10 units OR 15 units?

The units need to be 10 OR 15

antman
2012-06-27, 08:33 PM
Should be doable. I don't know how to do it as a line-based family, and I haven't had any experience with repeating detail families, but if a generic model is what you need, with parameters for start distance, repeating distance, and total number of items in the array are all you need, I can give some pointers.

ajtrahan
2012-06-27, 08:38 PM
Should be doable. I don't know how to do it as a line-based family, and I haven't had any experience with repeating detail families, but if a generic model is what you need, with parameters for start distance, repeating distance, and total number of items in the array are all you need, I can give some pointers.

Anthony,
I don't mind how it is done, just that it is doable. If you could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

antman
2012-06-27, 08:58 PM
Create two vertical reference planes to the left of the origin. Parameter from origin to first as offset distance (it can be set to zero, but I would create it as non-zero so the direction can be controlled. Parameter from first to second as spacing distance. Insert nested family in arbitrary location (not on reference plane). Array left, with a count of 2, picking arbitrary distance (not on reference plane). Align right instance to first reference plane, and lock. Align left instance to second reference plane, and lock. Assign parameter to array count. Let us know how it goes. .-)

antman
2012-06-27, 09:01 PM
Ah, but you need a number to report the overall distance? I'll have to think on that, while you build the framework...

ajtrahan
2012-06-27, 09:21 PM
Ah, but you need a number to report the overall distance? I'll have to think on that, while you build the framework...

WIll do. I'll report back in a day or two. Thanks again.

antman
2012-06-28, 03:11 PM
I did it, but it's a lot of work. What is the maximum number of items that could occur in this array? I created a generic annotation family that contains just a label using the length type, and loaded that into the main family. A picture is worth a thousand words, so refer to the image to see the rest. .-)

Alfredo Medina
2012-06-28, 03:23 PM
Is there a way to have a family that has a repeating detail, that is adjustable at different increments per detail and that I can adj in the project file? See attached.
How would you do this or is it possible?

EDIT: ... I see, it´s the reporting of the different value at each instance which adds the difficulty to this.

OK, in that case, I think this old thread in RFO can be used as a reference :

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-family-creation/5386-stair-numbering-family-nested-problems.html

ajtrahan
2012-06-29, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look and let you know what I come up with. I need about 50 items.

Jason