PDA

View Full Version : Room Additions Projects in Revit

amitd981780
2003-10-25, 12:47 AM
I was wondering if anybody is doing room additions plans with Revit.
Also, is it possible to show just a portion of the existing, or does Revit require to draw the entire existing floor plan.

I am currently doing all the drawings manually and very fast at it...
I am looking into a CAD solution and Revit looks great, but I am not sure that it is suitable for small room additions projects.

Any insight will be appreciated.

-=Amit

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-25, 12:54 AM
You only have to draw what you want to show up in your views. If you want an existing house to show up in elevations, you can model a portion of it, or draft up each partial view in each elevation (the "old" way, 2d) or go crazy modeling the whole existing house shell.

A marriage of 3d addition and 2d existing will work fine in plan...just elevations and sections is where you start doing redundant work.

Chances are you could model the shell of an existing house, the end that mattered, pretty quick. Either way the answer is yes, Revit can be good for you.

beegee
2003-10-25, 01:00 AM
No reason why Revit could not handle a simple addition.

If your comparing speed with manual drawing, the there is no comparison. You model in 3 D and your floor plans, ceiling plans, elevations, sections, window and door schedules etc etc are done finito.

As to only modelling part of the existing, well that depends what you want to show in your renderings or elevations or sections. But the answer is , yes, you can just model part of the existing to show on plans. On the elevations, you could place a filled region and draft some outline in 2d for the existing.

Ed: Sorry for overlapping posts. SS types faster'n me.
Darn tootin', 160 wpm minus 20 wpm backspacing plus my quotes!
Hey great ! I've got this large specification to do. I've emailed my notes and you'll have it back by tomorrow morning ?
WHATTT??? You haven't got it, I returned it an hour ago!
Oh yeah, here it is, full of typos !

Charles Francis
2003-10-25, 01:29 PM
I drew with a "T" square and triangle from 74 after leaving university up to my first purchase of Acad [R12] in late 93. Used that program with upgrades to R14 and then ADT until Jan 03 when I discovered Revit. Acad, in its various permutations, even after learning to write simple and in some cases complex lisps was a rather clunky program. Since obtaining Revit, we have done small additions and renovations to various structures. The initial input of the parts of the exiting structure can be time consuming if you are not careful, so preplanning is imperative. We have found that full modeling is NOT required, but if you intend to render the exterior, the shell needs to be fairly complete.
It has paid off for us when the owner sees the various rendered interiors created with the program of the proposed projects.
Good luck!