PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Views with dimensions spanning view breaks show incorrectly in CAD export?

patricks
2012-06-13, 10:01 PM
Looks like a fairly major bug here. I had a floor plan with a view break and dimensions spanning that view break. Surveyor asked for a CAD file so they could stake out the building, so I exported the view out and sent it to them. Later he called me asked about a dimension that structural (and my printed document and Revit floor plan) showed as 21' - 6" but the CAD file showed 5'-xx". Right now they have it staked out as the 5'-xx" dimension.

Has anyone else noticed this? It could have been VERY bad if they had already started digging and pouring footings. :shock:

pfaudler
2012-06-14, 09:48 AM
The floor plan in question is dependant or independant? In Most cases, I use dependant views instead of view break and then compose them on sheets. For CAD there will be one export from parent view with shared coordinates. I find it useful to have dependant views independant of each other in terms of naming etc so that I can give them different titles too, useful in detailing in parent view and placing smaller portions on sheets with different names.
R

patricks
2012-06-14, 06:55 PM
Single independent view. The floor plan with dimensions around it was just barely taller than my sheet, so I put a view break in between two structural grid lines, with a dimension between the grid lines. Only a small sliver of the building was visible above the view break near the top of the sheet. Separate views would not have worked as I would not have been able to have a dimension between those two grid lines.

Plus I was exporting the whole sheet to CAD, not just the view, so an overall view would not have worked either.

patricks
2012-06-14, 07:11 PM
Okay I just tried it with a blank file and 4 walls with a view break, exported, opened in CAD, and it actually showed the correct dimension. But as soon as I touched the dimension across the view break in CAD, it changed to be the graphic distance across the view break lines (i.e. the view in CAD was not actually broken).

The issue is when you export a sheet with a view on it, it shows the incorrect dimension. If you only export the view by itself, the CAD file will show the correct dimension value across the view break, but if you do anything to that dimension in ACAD it will change to the actual graphic distance of the dimension.

pfaudler
2012-06-14, 08:51 PM
I see..Did you export sheet with ""export views with different xrefs" checked on?