PDA

View Full Version : Titlle blocks and shared parameters - best practices? Anyone?

dmeza
2012-06-16, 08:08 PM
I'm still new to Revit, just figured out how to use shared parameters. I just set up a titleblock for a client, used shared parameters. Once I was happy with it, I tested it out by starting a new project and loading the title block (located on our server). I found I had to go through the proceedure of going to project parameters and loading all parameters in the project so the labels on the title block would work. I have a combinatoin of project and sheet parameters. My only work around is to copy/paste the title block from a sample project and that worked fine, didn't have to reload anything.

Anyone have a simpler solution?

Also, should I be keeping my shared parameter file in same folder as project file.

Lastly, as I ponder the different ways we will be using Revit with this one particular client (also new to Revit) a project file for one of their buildings could potentially have dozens of different shared parameter files for all the custom tags to be generated. We are one of 20 or so firms that provide design/const for them, it seems to me like this could turn into quite of mess. Thoughts on this anyone?

ghale
2012-06-18, 12:31 PM
It's best to have a shared parameter for your office standard. Those shared parameters should be loaded into the company template(s) so you don't have issues with users having to load them in.
We keep the shared parameter in a directory with the rest of the company standard content.
If you have a client that will be a repeat client, either add those parameters to your shared parameter file or create a separate shared parameter file. It tend to make these specifically for a project if multiple consultants need to use the same shared parameters file. So it then becomes project specific. This project specific shared parameters file is typically built off our company standard but will often have content from other consultants.

dmeza
2012-06-18, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info.
At first I was visualizing having a SP file for each client, per discipline that would cover parameters for everything from titleblocks to tag and any other family.
Is that about the size of it or have you seen SP files being seperated out even further i.e. for titleblock, tags, equipment families etc. or can you lump everything into one file per client?

ghale
2012-06-18, 07:46 PM
The less files the better. We've narrowed it down to one typical shared parameter file for the entire office. Our typical clients are already in there, there are just separated into different groups. I do often have to duplicate this and add parameters to make it project specific because of different consultants. Every project is different, but that's a good place to start.

dmeza
2012-06-18, 07:53 PM
Thanks again!