PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Detail Components per Mullion Profile?

Spork
2012-06-18, 02:50 PM
I have a mullion profile set up, with both width and depth parameters. Within that family there are two types, a 7.25" deep profile and a 6" deep one. I also have a DC nested in, which itself has a depth parameter to create two types set to match (7.25" & 6").

However, if I am in the 7.25" profile type, and I set the DC to also be the 7.25" type, when I go into the 6" type it also has the 7.25" type. If I change the DC to the 6" type, then go back to the 7.25" profile type, it now has also switched to the 6" DC.

Basically, it seems that I can only have one DC type per profile, regardless of which profile type I am in. Is there a way to get multiple DCs (or DC family types) per profile?

Alfredo Medina
2012-06-18, 03:58 PM
Yes, it is possible to have multiple types of detail components in the same mullion profile family. Are you using a Family Type parameter for the DCs ?

Spork
2012-06-18, 04:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by family parameter, but I believe so. It is not an instance parameter if that's what you are asking.

damon.sidel
2012-06-18, 05:06 PM
I think if you set up a depth parameter in both the DC and the family, you can link them. In the DC, make it an instance parameter. In the family, make it a type parameter. Then when you set the DC depth param to equal the family depth param, it should change per family type.

jsteinhauer
2012-06-18, 05:17 PM
In addition to Damon's response, you should make your DC a shared family and assign the proper OmniClassification & Assembly Code (confer with your spec writer/s). Making it shared will allow you to tag the DC in the project.

For the DC I wouldn't have any types associated with this family. If anything I would call its type "Instance" or "Parametric".

Cheers,
Jeff S.

vgonzales
2012-06-18, 05:33 PM
Do you have the dimension parameters set as an "instance"? You probably need to set it to "type". If the dimensions show up under the properties box, it is probably set to "instance" instead of "type" parameter. Edit the component and select the parameter and modify it.

Spork
2012-06-18, 06:23 PM
I think if you set up a depth parameter in both the DC and the family, you can link them. In the DC, make it an instance parameter. In the family, make it a type parameter. Then when you set the DC depth param to equal the family depth param, it should change per family type.

How do you "link" them, and set them to be equal? If I change the depth in one family type, it is automatically change in the other. I cannot make them different.

Do you have the dimension parameters set as an "instance"? You probably need to set it to "type". If the dimensions show up under the properties box, it is probably set to "instance" instead of "type" parameter. Edit the component and select the parameter and modify it.

This is the opposite of what Damon said above. This is currently what I have - both DC and Profile have Type params for depth.

Spork
2012-06-18, 06:28 PM
After talking with a coworker, we worked out a solution. I have two instances of the DC loaded in (one 7.25" and one 6"), and added a Visibility param to each. Under the 7.25" type I set the 6" DC to be off, and vice versa. When I am in the Profile Family it shows both DCs, but when I load it into my project and create a new mullion type, it works perfectly.

The main problem I have with this is that now I have two DCs in my profile, which could start to bog down my model. I would appreciate another solution. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Spork
2012-06-18, 06:46 PM
Ok, after further playing around it seems I figured out how to link them. In my Profile, I selected the DC. In the Properties dialog box, next to the Dimension param, there is a little gray button. I selected that which opened this window:

<none> had been selected - I switched it to Depth, and voila! Depths locked.

Thanks guys.

damon.sidel
2012-06-18, 09:46 PM
I had entered a reply hours ago and never got around to finishing it. I'm glad you found it!

Spork
2012-06-19, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the help.