PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Viewing Revit models and extracting AutoCAD files.

2012-06-19, 08:35 PM
I'm a CAD Designer for a large commercial glazing and ACM panel sub. We use AutoCAD and are considering switching to Revit. I've been using AutoCAD for 14 years and just began learning Revit on my own about 3 months ago. Even though I'm still a beginner, I absolutely love Revit! :lol: I have Revit 2012 on my laptop and one of the PM's that is learning it as well has the student version. Here is my situation....
We are bidding a large hospital and the GC only has the Revit model, he can extract the CAD files (which he says will take him a while) or he can send us the Revit Model and we can do it. Since time is money in this industry and my boss likes to "thrust greatness" upon his employees by constantly challenging them, we have decided to get the model and I have to extract the CAD files. :shock: Questions:

1. Is there a Revit viewer that we can get so the other PM's that dont have Revit can view the model?
2. Can the PM extract the CAD files using the student version or will i have to use my copy of the full version?
3. We only need exterior elevations and floor plans for our takeoff what is the quickest way to extract these?

HELP!

mthurnauer
2012-06-20, 01:22 AM
I don't think there is a free revit viewer, but there is a free dwf viewer called Autodesk Design Review. You can export the model as a 3D dwf. As far as creating elevations and plans for take-offs, you can make these views for your ability to understand and document the curtainwall, but the best way to do takeoff would be to learn how to take advantage of schedules. You should be able to automatically extract the calculated quantities you are looking for.

2012-06-20, 03:09 AM
thanks mthurnauer! We use Design Review but i didnt know I could export a 3d dwf. I'll read up on the schedules as well.

dlpdi5b
2012-06-20, 03:33 PM
You can download a free copy of Revit and use it for viewing, measuring, etc. You just won't be licensed and can't save anything.

Revitaoist
2012-06-20, 05:28 PM
A model exported as DWFx can be viewed with any windows machine with Win7 or better without additional software. Also unknown to most is the amount of information you can get from DWF files, e.g. if you select the property lines in DWF, it will tell you the acreage of the parcel. Select glazing and it may tell you the square footage. I'd get all the sheets exported as DWF, and a DWFx of the model.

2012-06-20, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Im looking in to getting the free version for another PM so he can view and measure. Ill try to select glazing and see if i can pull a sf for our takeoff. Thanks!