PDA

View Full Version : NCS layer names and such for Hydrology work

robert.248186
2012-06-20, 05:15 PM
Is there a standards for organizing filenames layer names folders and such for HEC-RAS import exports. I often do large floodplain mapping for 3D renderings. so the amount of data that is flying around between the three softwares is overwhelming. I am working on a custom schema but I want to base it on what is already out there. I didn't see any NCS stuff on the topic at all

tom.haws
2016-08-29, 07:54 PM
I am interested in the same. All I know is to start with C-STRM and do your best from there. I have been using C-STRM-WSHD.

STRM (The official major group)
WSHD (made up)
SBAS (made up)
HRAS (made up)
HEC1 (made up)
BNDY (NCS)
ANNO, RDME etc (NCS)

Is there a standards for organizing filenames layer names folders and such for HEC-RAS import exports. I often do large floodplain mapping for 3D renderings. so the amount of data that is flying around between the three softwares is overwhelming. I am working on a custom schema but I want to base it on what is already out there. I didn't see any NCS stuff on the topic at all

Iceberg
2016-08-30, 07:20 PM
To me these layers have always dealt with environmental conditions. Like Floodplains, wetlands, contaminated soils, etc.

I tried to use just the letter N, like N-BNDY, to set these layers as something different but that didnt seem to work to well.

So basically I set the layers up this way, C-ENVR-BNDY, C-ENVR-WETL, C-ENVR-LABL, C-ENVR-FLOOD-PATT, etc.

cadtag
2016-08-30, 07:41 PM
I've generally used C-STRM-#### as tom.haws is doing. Not really an enviro thing, since it's mainly dealing with stormwater flow. I do break the basins apart, C-STRM-BASN-MAJR & C-STRM-BASN-MINR.

Tip -- remember to add a meaningful DESCRIPTION in the Layer Manager... It helps down the road when that old job comes back to life.

jason work247
2016-10-22, 02:54 AM
HI all I didn't want to start a brand new thread (other forums kill you for starting new threads) so I will add to this thread.

I have civil 3d 2016 and all my experience has been with utilities. Now I am creating a whole new department for my company, we will be designing groundwater wells (I believe this falls under geotechnical work/survey). I was wondering if there is a place where I can get a list of layers or download layers specifically for creating groundwater wells, groundwater well profiles, and site maps of the ground water wells.

Thank you in advance.

cadtag
2016-10-24, 12:13 PM
The discipline code for Geotech is B,

You can check the layer naming either directly with NCS, or run through the Army Corps of Engineers site at https://cadbimcenter.erdc.dren.mil/

jason work247
2016-10-28, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I got a copy from a friend of the NCS Version 3...It isn't exactly geared towards all drafting standards...I was hoping for more of a template I guess. Ill try to explain myself as best as I can.

If you take a look at the image(please) this best describes what I was looking for. I guess I need a template showing all the layers for GEOTECH work. layer names, color, line type, lineweight...and so on.

cadtag
2016-10-28, 12:08 PM
There's not a lot directed towards Geotech in the current NCS..
B□-BORE Borings
B□-BORE-FDTA Borings: field data
B□-BORE-HOLE Borings: holes (perc)
B□-BORE-LDTA Borings: laboratory data
B□-DETL-ANNN Detail: optional number
(A = letter, NNN = number between 001 and 999)
B□-DETL-ANNN-CONC Detail: optional number: concrete
B□-DETL-ANNN-ERTH Detail: optional number: earth
B□-DETL-ANNN-FDTA Detail: optional number: field data
B□-DETL-ANNN-FILL Detail: optional number: fill and cover material
B□-DETL-ANNN-GENF Detail: optional number: general features
B□-DETL-ANNN-GNDW Detail: optional number: ground water
B□-DETL-ANNN-LDTA Detail: optional number: laboratory data
B□-DETL-ANNN-PVMT Detail: optional number: pavement
B□-DETL-ANNN-SPCL Detail: optional number: special
B□-DETL-ANNN-STRM Detail: optional number: storm sewer
B□-DETL-ANNN-SUBS Detail: optional number: sub-surface areas
B□-DETL-ANNN-SURF Detail: optional number: surface areas

You'll need to expand and modify based on what you need. Lineweights. colors, plotstyles, etc will definitely be based on your organization needs and practices.

I'll suggest to look at the ACOE informaiton as well.... https://cadbimcenter.erdc.dren.mil/