PDA

View Full Version : Instance Origin Does Not Lie on Host face

crawfords
2012-06-25, 09:04 PM
I am attempting to place a floor-box family on a floor that is in a linked model. The floor-box family is face-based.

When I attempt to place the floor-box on one floor, it goes in without any problem. In another section of floor, I get the message "Instance origin does not lie on host face. Instance will lose association to host." This floor-box does not appear in the view, although it seems that it is still going somewhere in the model.

I have checked the floor objects in the linked model, and they seem identical in every way (same type, same placement elevation, etc.) Could someone shed some light on what's going on here and how I can get that second floor-box in properly? Thanks.

-Crawford

Alfredo Medina
2012-06-26, 12:34 PM
Have you checked the family? Probably the solid is far from the reference planes that define the origin?

crawfords
2012-06-27, 05:07 PM
I check on that, and the origin of the floor-box family is right smak in the center of it, as expected. Can you propose any other casues for this weird bhavior? Thanks.

-Crawford

Alfredo Medina
2012-06-27, 05:35 PM
Don't know... Then it is something specific to your project. Try to use other ways to put that box on the second floor, such as Copy to Clipboard-Paste, or Pick New host, etc...

crawfords
2012-06-28, 03:19 PM
We've been having some weirdness assocatied with our face-hosted objects. In the example I originally cited, I couoldn't place a new floor-box on the floor in question, but I could copy one from another floor.

Similarly, I ran into a case where we were trying to move a number of electrical panels from one wall to another. Revit would allow us to rehost all but two, but for some reason, it grayed out the Pick New Host button for the last two.

I'm starting to woder if we wouldn't be better off using non-hosted families and dimensionally locking them to desired host wall, ceiling, etc.

-Crawford

Alfredo Medina
2012-06-28, 03:26 PM
Instead of floor-based, ceiling-based, roof-based, etc, make your families face-based, which works in all cases.

BenSammis
2012-09-20, 04:47 PM
I've only had similar issues to the Floor Box problem with ceiling devices/fixtures (they'd jump all over the place when placed). Here's what Autodesk said about it:

Thank you for choosing Autodesk product support. My name is John, and I’ll be assisting with your Revit issue. To summarize, you are having an issue in which light fixtures are jumping from the position you specified when you place them. This issue is currently logged with development. This issue can occur when you modify the workplane of the ceiling, which can occur when resizing the ceiling/moving walls.

To work around the issue:

1. Open the linked model in Revit.
2. Select the ceiling that the issue occurs with.
3. Modify > Clipboard > Cut to clipboard
4. Modify > Clipboard > Paste Aligned to Same Place
5. Resave the file.

When you open the MEP model that links the model, you can then attach the fixtures by face, and after updating the ceiling, the fixtures still attach correctly.

Unfortunately, since the workplane was deleted that the existing light fixtures were hosted to, these fixtures will be orphaned and you’ll need to select those existing fixtures and select Modify > Work Plane > Pick New > Face.

Please let me know if this allows you to work around the issue. If you need further assistance, please send the MEP and Architectural models, along with a journal file from the machine with the issue:

Cure worse than the disease in my opinion. I place the object, get the error message, zoom out until I can see the object's actual location, then use "pick new host" to put it where I want it. Stupid, but better than copy/pasting a bunch of ceilings everytime I get a new model.

The inability to re-host panels and other electrical items is because they're connected to a system. Disconnect the supply, re-host, and re-connect. At least you don't have to disconnect the downstream circuits.