PDA

View Full Version : revit frustrations

tect75
2005-01-31, 09:22 PM
ok so my office just implemented revit 7.0 trying to draw the first project in it. ready to kill myself. some things i just wonder at how easy they are. others its almost time for the computer to go out the window. anyway, i'm trying to get the sill plates drawn on top of the foundation wall. how does one do that. i can create a floor with joists no problem. the problem is creating the sills (2) 2x6's can anyone help?

Scott D Davis
2005-01-31, 09:34 PM
ready to kill myselfOk, it can't be that bad.....you are just going through one of the Six Stages of Revit. What kind of training did your office go through?

Are you trying to model all of the sill plates in 3D? This will add tremendous overhead to your model.

I would show the sill plates in a detail callout or section using 2D detail components. Only model what you need to show for rendering purposes. It sounds like you have gotten into the case of modeling everything....floor joists, floors, etc.

tect75
2005-01-31, 09:42 PM
the office hasnt had any formal training yet. just myself and a boss are beginning the work on revit. basically what i have is a foundation wall with 12" block and one layer of 8" then the sills and the joists above. should the sills just be included in the thickness of the floor and then later called out in the detail? i guess you could say that i have gotten caught up in the model everything phase. formal training is a definate must i see.

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-31, 09:52 PM
Create a stacked wall with the 8" CMU on top and 12" CMU below.

Then create a floor object which includes the joists, sheathing and finish above.

Then draw the exterior frame walls on top of the floor.

Revit doesn't model the individual joist, CMU's, studs, etc - you define the space each of these take in the construction assemblies, then draw them in with 2D tools and blocks.

Scott D Davis
2005-01-31, 10:02 PM
the office hasnt had any formal training yet....formal training is a definate must i see.Yes! Get some training, it will help you through some of the early 'speed bumps'!

Henry D
2005-01-31, 10:02 PM
Control the T.O. the foundation wall by constraining it (see Wall Element Properties) and set the B.O. the core of the Floor assembly above the T.O. foundation wall by the sill plate height. Then in your detail use a 2x detail item for the plate.

Tom Dorner
2005-01-31, 11:14 PM
Check out this thread on frame construction for newbies. It has some great posts and guidelines

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=571&highlight=newbies

adegnan
2005-02-01, 03:00 AM
Make the height from the top of foundation wall to the top of 1st floor 1 1/2" greater than the floor thickness. IE, 9 1/2" TJI + 3/4" OSB = 10 1/4" + 1 1/2" sill plate = 11 3/4". So then you put in a 10 1/4" floor, and the framed wall, wall sheathing, and finishes extend down to the foundation wall. When you get to detail section, place a detail component of a 2x6 or 2x8 there for your sill.

Works great! :)