PDA

View Full Version : Job Descriptions for Employees

adegnan
2005-02-01, 02:38 AM
Is anyone willing to share some sample job descriptions?

I am getting ready to make a couple of moves. One, moving my office to an actual location out of my home. Two, hiring my first office employee. (I have 3 carpenters in the field but have never had assistance in the office.)

I am interested in seeing several types of job descriptions:
-Administrative assistant types
-Entry level drafting & design
-Estimating

I get to design and build the space myself! ;) It is pretty basic, 700 square feet in a new mixed-use downtown building in our small village. Great visibility right across from the library, in the same building as our local heath club, on the same block as a new cafe, a karate school, and salon. Good visibility and name recognition. Oh, and I'm improving our advertising and *finally* re-doing the website too.

So here is what I am working toward for hiring an assistant. I've been working with the tech ed teacher at the local high school who teaches Revit. He has a star student who is progressing very well. I'm going to interview her for a part time position to assist with some of my revit work including detailing drawings that I've designed, measuring existing jobsites with me and creating the existing-conditons models for remodeling, as well as working toward having her work on spec house design for some lots that I own and/or custom design (both with lots of guidance from me, of course!). I'd also want to cross-train my assistant in estimating & take-offs and some of the administrative tasks such as entering time sheets from my field staff and entering bills from suppliers & subs.

Any tips?

Any words of wisdom and stories of trial & tribulation?

Thanks for sharing!

Scott D Davis
2005-02-01, 06:23 AM
right across from the library, in the same building as our local heath club, on the same block as a new cafe, a karate school, and salon.Sounds like you will: Be well researched, be in good shape, always be alert, able to do the 'demo' work by yourself (hi-YAA!), and look good doing it all!

SCShell
2005-02-01, 02:02 PM
Hi Abe,
I don't have any words of wisdom this morning. (Just got over the flu! Still feeling a bit wobbly.)
However, I just wanted to say "Good Luck!" It sounds like you are taking this one step at a time and planning well. You should do great! (Heck, you opted for Revit too.)
All the best
Steve

bclarch
2005-02-01, 04:21 PM
Abe,

Job descriptions are two edged swords. A more detailed "required duties" list can make employees feel more justified in doing exactly what is on the list and no more. When you write up the job description be sure to include wording that gives you some latitude in assigning tasks. This might include phrases such as "... duties include, but are not limited to, ..." or "duties include all drafting and administrative tasks normally required to complete and manage the work to the firm's standards".

You should also have an office manual. In it you can specify what the office standards are with regard to office policies (telephone & internet usage guidelines, maintaining proper project files, drafting standards, etc., etc.), job performance (working hours, late / absent standards, holidays & vacations, etc., etc.) and behavior (maintaining a professional demeanor & appearance, no sexual harassment, etc., etc. ). It should also include specific causes for dismissal (violations of the policies in the office manual, stealing from the firm, mistreating clients, mistreating fellow employees, chronic lateness or absenteeism, illegally downloading copyrighted material, etc. etc.) so that you have a clear policy in case you need to fire someone.

Other places to check for pamphlets or guidelines that may be useful include: State's Attorney's Office, Federal Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, Better Business Bureau, State and Federal Small Business Administration. The library across the street might even have a list of resources for someone starting up / expanding a business. Check with the reference librarian.

Once you have made your best stab at things, it might be worth paying a lawyer (specializing in employer / employee law) for a few hours of time to review the whole package.

Luckily, now that you are using Revit, you have plenty of extra time to do all of this stuff. :grin: Sounds like you are taking the right approach. Good luck.

marcosf
2005-02-02, 09:27 PM
Adegnan

bclarch is very right about adding latitude to the job description. Choose the words very, very carefully.

I can only add that by choosing the right person will only make your company to move forward, but if you choose the wrong one...

The wrong employee will pray to God every morning to give him (or her) the necessary wisdom to make it wrong when it is easy to make it right.

The right employee will pray to be able to make it better next time what he (or she) already made it reasonable well.

The wrong one will always remind you that he did what was asked.

The right one will always have a suggestion to improve a detail, etc.

The wrong one will be part of your problems.

The right one will be part of the solution.

The wrong one will be someone that you will only want to forget.

The right one will be your friend/colleague forever.

Unfortunately, I had more wrongs than rights. But a single right employee will give you so much pleasure to teach/train/guide and make you so proud that you will not have time to remember about the wrong ones.

adegnan
2005-02-08, 12:28 PM
Well thanks for the input and moral support guys! Sometimes the theory & wisdom behind the story that you have provided for me is of great importance. I'll get to work on that job description with latitude... and fankly, I yet need to implement a company handbook for my whole company, including my crew in the field. All steps I'm working toward... and the problem and solution are the chicken and the egg! Not enough time to write a handbook, want a handbook before hiring an employee, need an employee to help take some of the tasks easily delegated! Cluck, cluck, cluck!

adegnan
2005-02-10, 11:00 PM
Sounds like you will: Be well researched, be in good shape, always be alert, able to do the 'demo' work by yourself (hi-YAA!), and look good doing it all!
SD, yes, I already have the HI-YAA demolition factor. My brother owns a Karate school and I earned my Black Belt in '97 although I only work out about 3-4 times a month anymore! Your summary of my location sums it up. :) But man, things always get expensive. I'm waiting for the landlord to come back with terms after reviewing my proposal for the build-out.

adegnan
2005-02-11, 01:15 PM
OK, here is my first shot at the job description. Any feedback?

A couple of specific questions to consider.
-What is your impression of the job title, and the usage of "Vice President" in the job description? While that is my title, I'm certainly not used to using it as my own description.
-Is it appropriate to list the part-time hours in a job description? Or should there be an employment agreement with this information? What about a probationary period--this would probably go in the employee handbook, along with benefit information?

Position: Assistant to the Vice President

The Assistant will work for the Vice President to perform design & drafting duties and routine clerical tasks. The assistant will also complete other special projects when directed.

Use of a computer in a Microsoft Windows environment is necessary. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (primarily Word & Excel) and Autodesk Revit is required. Accurate typing skills are necessary. You will be the first person with whom many potential clients will speak, and shall accordingly represent our company with professionalism.

We will provide training (in-house or through seminars, at our discretion) in use of Revit, Microsoft Office, and Quickbooks as necessary to fulfill the duties that you are assigned.

This position shall begin as part-time work, 12-20 hours per week. Commensurate to the skills of the Assistant, the opportunities duties and hours may increase.

Design & drafting duties:

Performed under consultation and review of the Vice President.
Assist with measuring existing homes and building sites.
Use Revit to create “Existing Models” of homes to be remodeled by Degnan Design Builders.
Use Revit to add detail to construction drawings such as sections and plans.
Other duties as assigned by the Vice President.

Administrative duties:

Receive phone calls and walk-in traffic.
Receive & sort mail, faxes, and other communications.
Assembly and mailing of Introduction Books for potential clients.
Assist with assembly of job proposals.
Assist with preparation and assembly of contest entries and marketing material.
Office cleaning.

Additional duties commensurate with experience:

Create remodeling, addition, and new home plans.
Create Revit family components.
Estimate jobs, including completion of take-offs from plans, and requesting proposals from subcontractors.
Pre-qualify callers requesting consultation for design/remodeling/construction.
Enter supplier invoices & credit card receipts into Quickbooks.
Enter employee time cards into Quickbooks.
Create Job Site Books and return Subcontractor Agreements.
Use and improve upon filing systems in a multiple-person office environment.
Opening and/or closing the office.

bclarch
2005-02-11, 03:59 PM
Position: Assistant to the Vice President
Are you going to use this title in the help wanted ad? If so, be prepared for a lot of calls from people expecting to be paid $80,000 a year. You might want to use "Assistant to the Project Manager" or even a more generic "Drafting / Administrative Assistant Wanted" will do.

Use of a computer in a Microsoft Windows environment is necessary. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (primarily Word & Excel) and Autodesk Revit is required.

We will provide training (in-house or through seminars, at our discretion) in use of Revit, Microsoft Office, and Quickbooks as necessary to fulfill the duties that you are assigned.
The use of the term "required" is somewhat vague here. Your first statement seems to imply that knowledge of these programs is a required prerequisite for the job. But your offer of training implies that they will merely be required to use the programs as part of their job. If you are just trying to tell them what software they will need to be able to use, without it being a prerequisite, then you should rewrite the first statement along these lines. "In order to fulfill his or her duties, the employee will be required to use of the following software: Microsoft, etc.". In terms of training, I would separate the Microsoft stuff from Quickbooks and Revit. Knowing Microsoft Office should be considered a basic office skill at this point in time. Make the Microsoft stuff a prerequisite. Then say that the person will also be expected to use Revit & Quickbooks (and that knowledge of either would be a plus) but training may be provided per the terms that you stated.

Office cleaning.
Might scare off some people. Does this mean cleaning toilets, vacuuming and taking out the garbage or light dusting and keeping things neat? I would clarify.

Scott Hopkins
2005-02-11, 06:57 PM
Abe - no offense but I think you are a bit off the mark. Your description is a little schizophrenic. Are you looking for an administrative assistant to answer the phones and do clerical work, or are you looking for a drafter with knowledge of the building industry? I think you may have a difficult time finding someone to do both. If you are really looking for a drafter then that should be the primary focus of your description. Make architectural drafting the main task and then let them know that their duties will also include some clerical work.

"Assistant to the Vice President"? Just how many people do you have working for you? :-) I think you may want replace that with "office manager" "administrative assistant" or "computer drafter".

Good Luck!

adegnan
2005-02-14, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input. It is what I needed! To clarify,
* I am specifically working with the CAD Lab instructor at the HS on hiring a co-op student. So, his students already have Revit training to some extent. He has one specific student in mind who he feels is the most advanced (to serve my needs) and she is looking at a career path that would benefit from being hired by my company.
* But in addition to that, I am looking for someone to do the administrative tasks as shown.
* Since my company is design-build, if I hire a student I need to have doing a broad range of tasks to make sure I can employee her adequately.

FYI, I've also considered hiring an office manager and for that, the description would look very different. But I figured I'd have a go at this first because I think it is a lower-risk option?

Maybe the better job title will be "Revit Technition/Administrative Assistant"?

And I add a line, "Reports to: Vice President" or "Reports to: Abe Degnan"?

Thanks again,

tua022012802967
2012-01-10, 01:41 AM
Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Vice president assistant job description (http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.com/vice-president-assistant-job-description/)

Rgs