PDA

View Full Version : Project Base Point Question ????

antman
2012-07-19, 03:14 PM
Yes, they should be the same. For coordination, whenever a Revit project is linked in, always use Origin to Origin.

kathey1
2012-07-19, 08:18 PM
Would I be correct in thinking that the project base point should be positioned (coordinated) in the same location as in the architect model and the structural model?

I am trying understand the protocols of the Project base point when collaboration models

Thank you for you're time

MikeJarosz
2012-07-19, 09:42 PM
Yes, they should be the same. For coordination, whenever a Revit project is linked in, always use Origin to Origin.

David Conant (one of the Revit pioneers - I met him at AU) in his post of Feb. 2, 2008 says you should never use origin to origin. Sorry I don't have a link. I keep his post as a hardcopy. Should be easy to look up.......:lol:

antman
2012-07-19, 11:10 PM

Joshua Kohl
2012-07-20, 11:23 AM
I don't know if it's just me or what but I only see 4 post in this thread and it starts in the middle it looks like? Anyone else have the same problem?

kathey1
2012-07-20, 01:19 PM
David Conant (one of the Revit pioneers - I met him at AU) in his post of Feb. 2, 2008 says you should never use origin to origin. Sorry I don't have a link. I keep his post as a hardcopy. Should be easy to look up.......:lol:

http://www.hokbimsolutions.com/2008/04/cad-surveys-and-your-revit-project.html

MikeJarosz
2012-07-20, 01:33 PM
I made the same observation in a different thread. I think they're having problems......

antman
2012-07-23, 03:20 PM
http://www.hokbimsolutions.com/2008/04/cad-surveys-and-your-revit-project.html

Thread problems aside, yes, when linking site to building I wouldn't use Origin to Origin. But for within the building, A/S/MEP - all those models should be Origin to Origin.

patricks
2012-07-23, 05:04 PM
There was a problem with the site's time server the other day that made posts appear out of order. It was fixed shortly after I noticed it.

Linking consultant files should ALWAYS be origin-to-origin. When an engineer starts their Revit file, they should link in the Architect's model origin-to-origin, and being their drawing process (without moving the Architect's model). Then the Architect links the engineer Revit file back in origin-to-origin, and it's already lined up - nothing to move or line up. Makes thing very easy.

When linking site/building models, you want to publish one file's coordinates to the other file (I always publish my site file to the building model). You begin by bringing the building file into the site, but just use center-to-center since you have to move and position the building on the site anyway. After positioning, publish coordinates, save/close, open the building model, and bring in the site file via Shared Coordinates. This makes the site model show up in the building model in exactly the correct position.

*edit* The blog post above is about site/building files and shared coordinates, and I agree, NEVER origin-to-origin in those cases. However I like to place the building on the site and publish site coordinates to the building instead of vice versa. I just like it better because building positions can change but the Earth never moves, for the most part. So I like to build my site such that the building will be located roughly near Revit's 0,0 location, rotate site CAD as needed, and acquire coordinates from the CAD file to get my True North correct. Then bring in the building file, place it accordingly, and publish coordinates out to that building file.

Steve_Stafford
2012-07-24, 02:42 AM
It isn't an absolute but a good habit to link CAD data using something other than origin to origin. If the files's origin is near the relevant survey data there is no harm bringing it in origin to origin. If the files's data is large enough Revit will force Auto - Center to Center though. Considering that it's more likely to end up "center to center" anyway.

As David's post recommends, the goal is to get the relevent part of the site "under" your building, not the other way around. Put another way, move the earth under the building, not the building over the earth.

Revit files should be aligned using Origin to Origin. This way shared coordinates are irrelevant within the Revit realm. Shared coordinates become necessary and meaningful when we must export our data to align in some other software and other data source. Well, and if we need to identify specific coordinates inside the Revit model that match site coordinates.