PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Using "Save as Image" for ASIs/RFIs/CA

tridenour
2012-07-19, 07:10 PM
We love the workflow of using images as the views that we place on sheets for our ASI's / RFI's during the CA portion of the project. The issue we have is, the images do not seem to follow any rational scale and we'd like to typically have the images reflect the scale of the origional view . For example we initiate the command on an existing view that is 1/8" scale and using the scale value of 100% in the dialog, the images typically are created at a near 300% scale of the origional. I have tried adjusting the resolution output and scaling the image by 1/3 when creating. neither of these reliable create the appropriate related scale. Our workaround currently is to create the image and then scale it by relational known dimensions. It works but doesn't feel accurate or "BIMMY". We replicated the same behavior on multiple installs with multiple different models.

Anyone seen simmilar behavior or is it just me?

patricks
2012-07-19, 07:42 PM
Ouch this time differential error is going to cause a few problems for the rest of today.

I posted this after my post below about image DPI.

tridenour
2012-07-19, 08:50 PM
We aren't even exporting the images just saving them to the project. The other annoyance is that revit catagorizes these as renderings messing with my project browser.

patricks
2012-07-20, 03:30 AM
For whatever reason that I have yet to figure out or hear an answer for, JPEG images imported into Revit default to 72 DPI. So if you create an image of an area 20 feet wide at 1/8" scale and 300 DPI, that resultant image will be 20 feet divided by 96 (2 1/2"), times 300 DPI, or 750 pixels wide. But when you bring that JPEG back into Revit, it scales the image to 72 DPI or 10.42 inches wide. The image information is all there as it is in the original 300 dpi JPEG, just scaled up in size. You can then select the image and enter 2 1/2" as the width to get it back to the correct scale.

The kicker here, though, is that you need to know the image's pixel size and DPI to be able to do this correctly. You should be able to get this information from the JPEG properties by right-clicking on the JPEG file in Windows Explorer.

bbeck
2012-07-20, 04:06 AM
Ouch this time differential error is going to cause a few problems for the rest of today. I posted this after my post below about image DPI. yup. was driving me nutts yesterday trying to follow threads.

rbcameron1
2012-07-20, 03:45 PM
Isn't there two things you can do? Either issue it as NTS (not to scale) since the drawing will most likely have dimensions on it. Or get finicky with it and draw two lines X'-X" apart, find something on the drawing that is a known dimension and resize the image accordingly. i.e. 3'-0" door
I believe you can change where it lands in the project browser, away from "Rendering", which is kind of a odd place for it. However, you would need to know computer programming to develop an add-in that controls where the image gets placed....or some other way that redirects where Revit places it.