PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Roof Eave and Rake

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-23, 11:43 AM
What are some ways to create gable roof eaves and rakes with Revit Architecture 2013? Is it possible to create a smaller width rake than the size of the rafter? How do I square off the eaves?

I am looking for some tips to "clean up" the roof especially in renderings and elevation drawings. I would like to produce some very high quality presentation drawings and construction documents.

Thanks!
Rob

Mike Sealander
2012-07-23, 11:50 AM
I usually build two roofs. One represents the structure, the other represents the roofing material. Attach your fascia to the roofing material object. Fascias should clean up by themselves. They can be tweaked to be square (90 degrees to the roof plane) or plumb. Only square fascias clean at corners between the shed and gable ends.

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-23, 12:15 PM
Mike,

Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply.

Rob

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-23, 07:20 PM
Any good ways to do a cornice return on a roof? Any other tips for detailing rooflines?

Thanks,
Rob

Mike Sealander
2012-07-23, 08:55 PM
You might try In-place Component, Sweep, Sketch path, if the cornice follows an edge of the roof, but then goes on to hug a wall. Some cornices are returning along the edge of a small "roof". If this is the case, use the roof fascia tool and, very carefully aligning the matching edges of your main roof and the returning roof will let you pick those aligned edges and have the cornice clean up at the corner.

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-24, 12:35 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a try.

You mentioned yesterday, when creating the eave / rake detail, you build two roofs (one for the structure and one for the materials). Do you create one roof on top of another or do you somehow "freeze" one roof to display the materials type roof? (I am an AutoCAD user for about 18 years, and started using Revit about 6 months ago)

Take care,
Rob