PDA

View Full Version : Can you 'Unpin' a pattern?

mthurnauer
2012-07-23, 03:21 PM
I have made a very complex roof structure using a conceptual mass in which I had modeled the roof form and then developed a adaptive curtain panel family which is propagated on rectangular pattern applied to the mass. This all worked out great except now it turns out that the structural spacing is not exactly even. Is there a way to 'un-pin' a line in a pattern and adjust the pattern spacing like a curtwainwall grid? So far, it does not seem possible, but I figured I would ask. If not, it looks like I would need to completely re-create the entire roof structure using a different method.

sbrown
2012-07-23, 03:52 PM
If its a model pattern you should be able to tab select a line in the patt, then move or rotate.

cliff collins
2012-07-23, 04:11 PM
By "pattern" do you mean the Pattern in the Conceptual Massing tools for adaptive curtain panels? Or as Scott suggests, simply a f?ill pattern

mthurnauer
2012-07-23, 05:58 PM
Cliff, I mean the Pattern in the Conceptual Massing tools. I had made an adaptive curtain panel that is essentially a single bay of a space frame with pipes for the compression members and solid rods for the tension members. There are connection plates, etc. and there are numerous parametric controls. When I modeled the structure using this approach, I had presumed that the barrel vault space frame would be uniformly divided in each direction, but it turns out that it is evenly divided about the arc, but not along the length of the vault.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-07-23, 06:02 PM
If you select your pattern when in edit mode, you can adjust the pattern layout (none, Fixed Distance, Fixed Number, Minimum and maximum Spacing), justification (beginning, center, end) and offsets. This should allow you to locate your pattern as needed.

cliff collins
2012-07-23, 06:56 PM
What Dimitri said!

mthurnauer
2012-07-23, 06:58 PM
I have played with those options, but what I need is to be able to adjust the spacing of individual lines, like on a curtainwall grid. With curtainwall, you could establish a grid spacing using one of the options you stated above: fixed distance, Fixed Number, etc., but then you could go and unpin an individual line and adjust it. With the pattern layout, it appears that you cannot unpin a line and adjust its spacing. What I need to do is, say the pattern originally had lines spaced at 5'-0" o.c. I now need to adjust it such that some bays are 4'-10", some at 5'-0", and others at 5'-2". I thought that maybe what I needed to do was to scrap having defined the framing using a pattern within the conceptal massing and instead apply a curtain grid to the face of the mass once it is loaded into the project. I would then apply my adaptive curtain panel as the typical panel within my curtain grid once loaded in the project. However, I found that I am unable to select my adaptive curtain panel once in the project.

damon.sidel
2012-07-23, 07:15 PM
You cannot move individual lines in the divided surface pattern. If you need that level of control, you could try creating your own grid with the intersect tool. Is this a curved surface? Single or double curvature? That would complicate things, but I think the intersect tool would give you the flexibility you are looking for.

mthurnauer
2012-07-23, 07:22 PM

This is an image of my truss. The spacing on the curve of the barrel vault is equal, but in the other direction it was modeled as equal and now that it has been detailed by the engineer, the spacing varies.

damon.sidel
2012-07-23, 09:49 PM
Yes, I think you can use the intersect tool in the conceptual mass. Divide your surface so that it has X divisions in the direction with equal divisions and only 1 in the other direction. Draw ref planes in plan in the other direction and intersect with your surface. Then apply the pattern-based panel and you should be good to go.