PDA

View Full Version : 2013 cut a hole for a sink in a counter top

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-25, 03:36 PM
What is a good way to cut a hole in a counter top to place a sink? I am using one of the stock counter tops that came with the software.

Thanks,
Rob

Alfredo Medina
2012-07-25, 04:35 PM
Modify the sink family, to include a void. Set the sink family to "cut with voids when loaded" (under Category & Parameters). Load the sink into project and place it on the counter. Then do Cut geometry > select the counter, select the sink.

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-25, 06:04 PM
Alfredo,

Thanks for the detailed info.! I will give it a try.

Take care,
Rob

jsteinhauer
2012-07-26, 02:55 PM
Hey Rob,

You can also nest the sink with void into a copy of the counter top family.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

ROBP-RDS
2012-07-27, 02:55 PM
Jeff,

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I will give it a try.

Take care,
Rob

Mike Sealander
2012-07-27, 06:33 PM
One of the issues I've been dealing with is when to make multiple families and types. Countertops is a good example. Does a countertop with a sink really need to be a different family than a countertop without a sink? Is an L-shaped countertop really a different thing from a straight countertop? These are important when scheduling. I've decided to stop using L-shaped countertop families. I'm thinking about stopping use of countertop families with sink holes in them as well.

Alfredo Medina
2012-07-27, 09:33 PM
That's when "shared" helps. No problem with schedules, if a sink (plumbing fixtures) is nested as shared into a counter top (casework) family. Both elements will be available for insertion in the Project Browser, and both of them can be selected, tagged, keynoted, and scheduled, independently.

Mike Sealander
2012-07-28, 11:27 AM
Alfredo, you are correct. However, let's say you have a U-shaped countertop design, and initially decide the sink should go on the middle leg. So, you might model the U-shape with sink-less counters for leg 1 and 3, and a counter with shared sink for the middle leg. Later you change your mind and decide the sink should go on the first leg. With a countertop family containing a shared sink with void for cut-out, you still need to switch countertop families to move the sink.

Alfredo Medina
2012-07-28, 01:04 PM
Yes. For that reason, it might be better to have all the counters without holes, and use a sink with void as described above in reply # 2.

david.metcalf
2012-07-30, 04:05 PM
Good Morning all,

Let me add that the nesting of a MEP sink with connectors into the countertop results in not connectors coming through. So I avoid this or use this solution provided by the ever helpful Jose Fandos.
http://www.andekan.com/blog/category/revit-family-editor/

jsteinhauer
2012-07-30, 05:03 PM
Let me add that the nesting of a MEP sink with connectors into the countertop results in not connectors coming through.

David,
If you're modeling a MEP family in the architectural model, an MEP designer is not going to have access to the connectors anyways. Connectors do not work across linked model files. So, our MEP's then copy/monitor 100-1000's of family instances from our model, so they can do their layouts properly. IMHO, AD needs to fix this, right along with nested families w/ connectors.

Cheers,
Jeff S.