PDA

View Full Version : Strip File for Transfer

Mike Lister
2012-07-30, 08:56 AM
Hi,

Great news, one of our sub contractors have asked for a copy of our revit model so that they can refine the design before production/install. However, we don't really want to send them our revit file with all our sheets/views/details etc. still in place. Is there an easy way to strip everything out so that we are purely left with the geometry.

I tried binding it into a clean file but this didn't work. Has anyone else got any other ideas?

Many thanks for any help.

Norton_cad
2012-07-30, 11:39 AM
Export it as a 3D model with solids, that way they get the geometry, and none of the sheet data.

Duncan Lithgow
2012-07-30, 05:36 PM
Export it as a 3D model with solids, that way they get the geometry, and none of the sheet data.

What format would that be, assuming they will continue using Revit in their process?

I was just going to suggest deleting all views except basic plans, I think that's possible.

Norton_cad
2012-07-31, 02:43 AM
In Acad. An Acad 3D solid model can be imported on to a new revit project.

Duncan Lithgow
2012-07-31, 08:40 AM
@Mark, we don't know if the manufacturer is using AutoCAD, they asked for a copy of the Revit file, so they have a copy of Revit.

What format do you mean when you say "3D model with solids"? There are quite a few to choose between. I just tested a DWG export of a 3d view. Reimporting that doesn't give anything that can be worked on further - just one big clump of geometri. So I'm intrigued as to what format you're thinking of.

Duncan Lithgow
2012-07-31, 08:41 AM
@Mark, we don't know if the manufacturer is using AutoCAD, they asked for a copy of the Revit file, so they have a copy of Revit.

What format do you mean when you say "3D model with solids"? There are quite a few to choose between. I just tested a DWG export of a 3d view. Reimporting that doesn't give anything that can be worked on further - just one big clump of geometri. So I'm intrigued as to what format you're thinking of.

Norton_cad
2012-07-31, 08:46 AM
Yes, one big clump, is what I was suggesting. If not suitable, what are you aiming for?

Duncan Lithgow
2012-07-31, 09:35 AM
I just thought that if they want to "refine the design before production/install" they'd want something they can work on. But I guess such a clump (a block? I've since deleted the file) can be exploded. I wonder if Mike will rejoin us for this discussion...

nancy.mcclure
2012-07-31, 06:51 PM
Exporting from a 3D view will produce a visual 3D block - it could be manipulated at a very basic level, but it would contain none of the data, type distinction, system family functionality of the original Revit model, and that is likely what the subcontractor is looking to do. For a clean model file, I think the new project > link > bind method is best, but Mike mentioned he tried that and it didn't work.

As a sub, though, they likely do not need the entire model - they may only be interested in their scope. We use worksets for the shell/core that make it easy to visually isolate scopes (curtainwall, for instance) to immediately get them to the portions they address. Those elements can be grouped then linked out of the model, and that limited model portion sent to the sub for refinement, then the link is updated with their input. An archive can have those sub-portion links bound to reincorporate into the main model.

Mike Sealander
2012-08-01, 02:30 PM
In fact, you might be able to make a big, giant group out of everything you want to give to the sub, and save to file.

Duncan Lithgow
2012-08-01, 04:11 PM
@Mike & Nancy - great ideas - got me thinking about some of our model management issues coming up once we share our models with the contractors.

nancy.mcclure
2012-08-01, 04:39 PM
Duncan, I find workset organization to be incredibly powerful, both for streamlining/focusing for the design/modeling team, and for targeted QC and project management. It takes a while for teams to get diligent with workset assignments, but when they get there, it's engrained. Spot check OFTEN at the onset of a workset protocol, and (privately) call out rogue modelers, (publicly) applaud the entire team when good discipline is shown. I email teams a "rogue element" count/snapshot at the end of the week, to make people aware of how quickly they can confirm/spot and correct. The 2013 color tools should make awareness easier, too, but we have yet to upgrade current projects.

jsteinhauer
2012-08-02, 01:41 PM
For this whole discussion to be beneficial to Mike (OP), what is the subs responsibility? Also, is he planning on a targeted break up of a model for every sub that asks for a Revit model? Otherwise give them the whole kit & kaboodle, and let them sort it out.

Cheers,
Jeff S.