PDA

View Full Version : Structural Beams & Openings both viewable

neb1998
2005-02-01, 09:00 PM
Setting up structural framing plans showing load bearing partitions and beams seems to not be a problem. My problem is that i can not get the view settings (ranges) to show both the beams, bearing partitions, and window openings. It appears their is no way to setup the view range to accomidate all these. How are we supposed to show framing elements above a window opening if you cant see the joist you just drew until changing the view range again for it to become visible. I have noticed if i change the Analytical projection plane to the same level i want the structural member to show up at it will appear with the view range settings that do allow me to see the framing members and window/ door openings but their is no way to change that parameter of a beam till after it has been drawn.

This may seem complicated, i do not know if their is a framing tutorial for this but as a summary i would like to be able to draw beams and other framing members in a framing plan...have them be visible of course as well as being able to see the window and door openings so i can show the location of the lintels above.

Ben Kane - Architect

PeterJ
2005-02-01, 09:41 PM
Can you not create a level at, say, cill level and use that as an underlay to see the door and window locations?

neb1998
2005-02-01, 09:54 PM
I tried that, the problem with that is it will not show the actual doors and windows with underlays, hence not showing the openings either.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-01, 10:09 PM
Try overlaying a floor plan and your framing plan on a sheet. They will align/snap to each other as long as they are the same scale (they'd need to be wouldn't they ;) ). This way you can blend the two views together without trying to play games in one view only. See this THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5877&highlight=overlay)

neb1998
2005-02-01, 10:16 PM
That seems to be one possible workaround....i would like to think revit has the capability of showing the window openings and still be able to draw beams (lintels) on the same view though - without having the dreaded yellow box show up stating "none of the elements created are viewable"

If anyone else has any comments i would appreciate them

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-01, 10:23 PM
...That seems to be one possible workaround...I find it interesting how folks react to the notion of overlaying views on sheets. It's always a workaround, but it works so bloody well! You can struggle to try to show objects that exist in different planes in the same view or work in a view that make sense for the subject matter. I don't like to struggle...

Remember it's all the same data, Revit is just a collection of views all looking at the same info from different perspectives. Sometimes it makes more sense to work on something in section? Just cut a section? In a schedule? Create a schedule, it's all the same information after all.

Isn't this attached image essentially what you are asking for?

aaronrumple
2005-02-01, 10:31 PM
I personally love the stacked views on a sheet. It works so much better than linework in most cases and once I get the extra views set up - I naver have to touch them...

Besides - who said it wasn't supposed to be done this way...? ;-)

neb1998
2005-02-01, 10:32 PM
That view is similar, i am not having a problem showing the structural walls and the beams that intersect them. I need to be able to draw the beams over the window and door openings.

I could set the view range of a steel plan so i can show the framing members like you said on top of a floor plan that has the openings shown but i am not sure which plan revit will show as the overlay and then if i can see the window opening or not.

bk

neb1998
2005-02-01, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys, i will have to play with aligning the views, they do not act like acad views in that you can move from any line both in the model area and in the sheet space.

Steve_Stafford
2005-02-01, 11:12 PM
You can activate a view in sheet view and work on the view from there and see the overlaid view as well.

neb1998
2005-02-01, 11:17 PM
Along these same lines, Structural elements have a setting called ' Analytical Projection Plane' - I do not know exactly what this affects in revit but is their a way to specify it prior to drawing a beams length? It appears you can only change this paramater after you have already drawn the structural element?