PDA

View Full Version : Placing a structural column next to a cavity wall

p.stewart
2012-08-07, 03:59 PM
I have a steel column placed next to a cavity wall. The cavity needs to be maintained along the whole length of the wall, but I want each column to be enclose by blockwork.

Sounds simple, but the problem is that I don't want the bit of the cavity blockwork inside the column enclosure to have plasterwork.

Any ideas?

tedg
2012-08-07, 04:59 PM
Why couldn't you create another wall type without "plaster" (GWB?) and just connect the two ends.

In other words you would use your wall type to come up to the column, go around the column and then continue on, and then connect the space between them with the new type without the plaster.

~shrug~

p.stewart
2012-08-07, 06:03 PM
I tried that but I'm having trouble resolving the wall junctions.

Where the single block wall meets the cavity wall, the plaster seems to extend into the center of the wall.

cliff collins
2012-08-07, 06:08 PM
Highlight the wall that the plaster extends too far in. Then select the blue dot at the end, right click and select disallow join. Pull it/align back flush. Does that help?

p.stewart
2012-08-07, 06:13 PM
Nop. Its being really stubborn. I've tried every conceivable order of placing the walls but it always results in the same solution.

tedg
2012-08-07, 06:15 PM
I tried that but I'm having trouble resolving the wall junctions.

Where the single block wall meets the cavity wall, the plaster seems to extend into the center of the wall.
Hmm.. not sure.
I can't open your file cause I have 2012 (says it's a later version).
I'm not sure if I can help.. maybe someone else out here in AUGI can give you some better advice.

You must have 3 wall types here? One two-layer wall with plaster, one two-layer wall without plaster and one one-layer wall with plaster?
It's got be something about how they're joining (and/or) how they're placed: like outside face, inside face or center?

cliff collins
2012-08-07, 06:30 PM
see if this works.

LP Design
2012-08-08, 04:38 AM
If you go with the wall types option, there is one trick that has worked really well for me in the past. Instead of trying to disallow join or using the wall join tool, just pull the walls back away from each other until they un-join on their own. Then extend them in the order of priority. In this example you would extend the main east-west portions of the wall first, then extend the column wrap up to meet them.

I have found that by manipulating walls in this way Revit tends to assign some hidden kind of priority based on which walls get joined first. This can solve a lot of join issues especially like the one you are describing with the plaster finish.

Hope this helps,
-LP