PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Families, Mapping Texture Orientation, Realistic Shading Mode

Limbatus
2012-08-07, 11:30 PM
Hello,
i'm developing some interior perspectives for a TI i'm working on. We want show the client some realistic shading mode views. I just switched out of hidden line, and my wood textures are going every which way. i tried rotating the pattern, but revit will not allow me to select it. next i tried returning to shaded/edges mode, applying a surface pattern and then tuning the mapping, but no luck. finally, i tried deditign each family, loading a surface pattern and rotating, but this is my 3rd failure. anybody have experience doing this? I wish i could paint my families.

damon.sidel
2012-08-08, 12:45 AM
I should be able to paint surfaces while in the family editor. You could try making two materials, each one with the same texture, one rotated 0-degrees, the other rotated 90-degrees. Can you post some of the families with the wood texture?

Limbatus
2012-08-08, 04:46 PM
thanks, i ended up doing that because i couldn't get it to work with a single material. here's how my render turned out last night. its a good start i think. i want to add some uplights on my pendants, and figure out whats going on with my windows.

damon.sidel
2012-08-08, 06:50 PM
Yes, a very nice start Limbatus. I didn't realize you are rendering (as opposed to just using the "Realistic" Visual Style. Do you use Revit to render a lot? How long did this render take? You could get a nicer render pretty quickly in another program (3ds or Artlantis which has a Revit plugin and now uses the Maxwell engine might be the easiest to translate from Revit), especially for interiors. Just a thought. Glad you got the wood mapping to work the way you wanted. Look forward to seeing how this shapes up.

Limbatus
2012-08-08, 11:20 PM
The rendering took 5 hrs, its an 11x17 150 DPI.

here was my 4th pass. We also use MAX in the office, but we haven't really got an expert. for an afternoon's work, we get better results out of revit. If it were my choice, i'd be using vray, because it doesn't really have the same depth as max. in my experience i hit render in vray, and it looks nice the first time.

i was initially intending to output only realistic shading views, but my boss insisted on real renderings, so that i could spend an addition 12-15 hrs in the office this weekend.

LP Design
2012-08-09, 01:57 PM
Have you tried Autodesk 360? We have had really good results in a fraction of the time. Also, you may want to break up that ceiling plane somehow. Gyp reveals maybe? Sorry, my architecture is acting up. :beer:
-LP