PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Managing section and elevation marker visibility

damon.sidel
2012-08-08, 06:56 PM
How do people manage section and elevation markers across many views? We have a ton of elevations and sections for studying things, but we only want some of the section and elevation annotations to show up in views. We have our deliverables and then we have everything else we use to design. I know that I can hide views not placed on sheets when I print, but I'm also exporting, not to mention simply keeping things clean. How do you organize all the views that aren't part of the deliverable package?

jsteinhauer
2012-08-08, 07:08 PM
I wish there was a better way of doing this, but the best I can come up with is the "Hide at scales coarser than" parameter. Otherwise, you're chasing your tail around your drawing sets to hide elevation/section tags. I change mine to only show up at scales coarser than 3/16"=1'-0" cause most of my sheets are setup at 1/4"=1'-0".

Cheers,
Jeff S.

cliff collins
2012-08-08, 07:09 PM
Create new Section Types, then apply Filters, and set Filters in View Templates, apply View Templates to views--done!

jsteinhauer
2012-08-08, 07:11 PM
Never mind my comment, use Cliff's method.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

damon.sidel
2012-08-08, 07:11 PM
Nice, Jeff. Coarser-than seems like a nice quick-fix! I'll see if that will do.
Cliff, your method sounds great. As we get more refined, I'll start using that technique. For today, I'll use the coarser-than technique. Thank you both!

damon.sidel
2012-08-14, 02:23 PM
Create new Section Types, then apply Filters, and set Filters in View Templates, apply View Templates to views--done!

OK, Cliff. I'd like to start implementing this method you have and would like a little more advice on best practices. What section types do you typically have in your projects? I started by making a "Building Section - Print" type and a filter that does not include this type. Then I can apply the filter and turn it off in views to hide all sections that are NOT of "Building Section - Print".

Does that make sense? Is there any benefit gained from having more section types?

To complicate things, we have our Project Browser organized with a project parameter called "View Use". For example, we have "00 Working", "Print", and "Model" categories for plan views. How do you think would be best to organize the sections with type AND this "View Use" parameter?

ghale
2012-08-15, 11:26 AM
Since you are already using the "working" vs "printing" methodology, simply create section heads and elevation tags that display "working" in them. These don't get placed on sheets anyway so there's no need to actually display a sheet number. The marks can be called "working sections" and "working elevations." Then you can apply filters that turn off the visibility of the section and elevation markers by type name. You can go a step further and apply the filters in view templates. We also use this for things like curtain wall elevations and sometimes interior vs. exterior elevations.

CADMama
2012-09-13, 03:22 PM
So in testing something out about all of this filter and view template ideas, here is what I found out.

Filters will transfer with "Transfer Project Standards" but View Templates will not. I even tried transferring filters first and made sure I had them before trying to transfer the view templates.

Did I miss something?

Mike L Sealander
2012-09-14, 11:52 AM
One other tool in the toolbox: The "Hide Unreferenced View Tags" switch in the Print Setup dialogue.