PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Has anyone found automotive equipment families?

graphite
2012-08-09, 03:15 PM
Working on a transit facility which maintains and stores large buses. I am wondering if anyone has found manufacturers who supply revit models of their equipment such as, air compressors, welding equipment, shop vacuums, etc.

Thanks in advance.

jsteinhauer
2012-08-09, 04:21 PM
does it need to be graphically accurate? I would typically handle these types of items with a scalable box family that has all of my parameters tied to an equipment schedule already.

graphite
2012-08-09, 06:51 PM
No not graphically accurate, more concerned about dimensions and electrical information. In what category do you model these components?

Essentially we need to provide our in house mechanical guys with equipment locations in the model so that they can connect to them. I was going to model these in the mechanical category and place an electrical connector within the model. Will they be able to connect to a mechanical component in a linked model? First time either department has walked into this territory so any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

contact.andrewk968454
2012-08-09, 07:56 PM
http://arcat.com/arcatcos/cos35/arc35271.html?isac=1&r=8

Has some vehicle lifts.

Otherwise, no idea.

jsteinhauer
2012-08-09, 08:35 PM
Typically these types of components are called out as specialty equipment. If this is something that is truly a piece of mechanical equipment, then I would model it with that family template or change what I've already done to that Family Category. I have placed MEP Connectors in the past, but currently Engineers working off of a linked model can't see connectors anyways. If you're all working in the same model you should be fine. You could very quickly drive yourself nuts trying to model specific equipment. Save yourself some headaches and place specialty power families when you can. If the equipment is hardwired then maybe provide a junction box family instead.

I hope this helps,
Jeff S.