PDA

View Full Version : Tablet viewer

mesikepps
2012-08-16, 09:09 PM
I'm in the market for a tablet and am wondering two things:

Are there any workable tablet viewer softwares out there that can open up a dwf or some other lightened file type and allow the user to navigate?
Are there any tablets that stand out as better than the rest for such a use?

Appreciate any comments.

-Sam

antman
2012-08-16, 09:24 PM
Design Review Mobile can view dwf files. I believe there are iOS and Android versions available. Unfortunately I can't comment on quality of tablets, as I don't own any. That said, if I were going to buy one, I would compare the iPad and Google Nexus Tablet.

Rick Moore
2012-08-16, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately the only way to get DWF's in Design Review Mobile is using the Autodesk 360 cloud, which is so bad it barely works. Most of the time an upload will not get a preview, which means it can't be used

rbcameron1
2012-08-17, 07:35 PM
I've actually have a fair amount of luck with 360 and D.R.Mobile. I own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android 4.0, looking to switch out to the new ASUS Infinity. Google Nexus 7 may be a little to small of screen. iPad comes with its own pros and cons too. Screen size on a tablet is everything to me so I'm biased towards the 10inch tablets. Budget-wise the Nexus 7 is a no brainer.

EDIT:
I've since moved onto an ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700. Couldn't be happier. Everything the Galaxy Tab was lacking this makes up for. Plus it has an attachable dock with additional 5 hours of battery life so I can type and use a mouse. It even can remote in and run Revit! (Let me repeat, I use it to log into my desktop from a remote location and I can operate Revit with ease....except on a 10.1" screen.)

Rick Moore
2012-08-22, 10:02 PM
The Design Review Mobile app changed to Autodesk 360 Mobile today and it works better in terms of getting the files from the website.

JonTheBIMGuy
2012-08-23, 07:58 PM
I would also consider waiting until Fall if you can. Microsoft comes out with their tablet (Microsoft Surface), sometime this Fall. It will have windows 8, and since it is Microsoft and running on windows, theoretically you can bypass the cloud, and access files using WiFi, like you would on a laptop. Personally, i'm waiting to see if the Surface will be everything it says. Fingers crossed.

Microsoft Surface Link Below:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

gbrowne
2012-08-24, 11:23 AM
Come join the fun over here! :-) http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?142024-Mobile-model-viewing