PDA

View Full Version : In place components

charliep
2012-08-18, 01:10 PM
I created a roof verge using "Component" - "Model in place" and gave it the family Roofs. I then tried trimming the ends using "Model in place" - void and giving the void the family roofs, but it just won't work. I've been through the help section and tutorials but must bee missing something as it just doesn't work. Keeps telling me "Some Void Forms of this family do not cut anything and will be deleted. To make a Void Form cut something else use the Cut Geometry tool." I've used the Cut Geometry tool but still doesn't work.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-08-18, 02:48 PM
The void and what it cuts need to be in the same in place family. Edit your 'verge' family and create the void as a separate object inside that family. Cut the verge with the void, finish the family and it should work.

charliep
2012-08-18, 03:06 PM
Thanks Dimitri, that was dead easy! However, this means that if you have created a component and later on decided you need to alter it you need to open it up to edit it. Is that correct?

charliep
2012-08-18, 03:47 PM
Just tried it - job done, thanks again.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-08-18, 04:06 PM
Glad to help.
You can use solids to cut solids, even if they are in separate families but then you need to hide the cutting piece. It makes logical sense when you think about it. A void is essentially 'nothing' and nothing can't exist on its own unless it's interacting with something else that is something.