PDA

View Full Version : 2013 How to get middle click working in Windows in Parallels on a Mac?

aryayush
2012-08-18, 01:53 PM
Hello.

I installed Parallels Desktop on my Mac to use Revit Architecture on Windows. It was already installed via Boot Camp and clicking the mouse wheel properly registers as a middle click there and dragging works too. It functions as it should.

However, the same thing does not work when using the same installation of Windows via Parallels Desktop, although it works fine on OS X. Scrolling with the mouse wheel works everywhere, including on Windows running in Parallels Desktop.

I can get Revit Architecture to pan in 2D views by holding down the Shift key and right mouse button and dragging the pointer around, but the same control is assigned to orbiting in 3D views. I have been unable to figure out how to pan in 3D views. And this is a sloppy workaround anyway; support for the middle button would make it faster and more convenient, and I don’t want to give that up.

Here are all the relevant specs, if they’ll be useful for diagnosis:

Early-2011 MacBook Pro 13-inch
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.0
Windows 7 SP1
Parallels Desktop 7 Build 7.0.15106
Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013 Build 20120716_115(x64) Update Release 1
Logitech Wireless Mouse M310 (with Logitech Control Center installed on OS X)

I bought this mouse only to use with Revit Architecture, because I did not want to cobble together ways to get my Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad working with the software. I knew it would not be nearly as convenient as a dedicated middle button. I cannot figure out why it won’t just work out of the box. It does not need any hacks; all Parallels Desktop has to do is pass the mouse input over to Windows as is.

Can someone help me out please? Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-08-18, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forums.
This problem occurred at RTC in the Mac labs. I'm not a Mac guy so the explanation may be slightly off but it has to do with changing the settings on your Mac. You need to assign the mouse control to the program (Revit) not the 'system' (your Mac OS). Don't ask me the specifics but here are the steps from the Microsoft help site for the MS Mouse. I'm sure they're similar for other mice. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269054

aryayush
2012-08-20, 01:08 PM
Hey Dimitri. Thanks for the welcome, and for the reply. I looked at that document, but it did not seem to apply to my mouse (as you’d said), and I did not find any parallel solution to it for my Logitech mouse.

It turns out, though, that my problem was being caused by a third-party app I had installed on Windows, called KatMouse. It has a feature that assigns the middle button to itself, so I just turned it off and it started working fine in Revit.

Problem solved.