PDA

View Full Version : How to dimension the doors in a arc wall

mike99
2012-08-19, 03:39 PM
just like the image

mike99
2012-08-19, 03:53 PM
I mean if there be a way to finish the mension quickly? We have many doors like this, an the building has 7 floors,

DaveP
2012-08-20, 01:48 PM
How do you want them dimensioned?
Angles? Wall corner to Door Centerline? Point to Point?
I assume you've tried the Arc Length dimension.
If you want a point-to-point, you can TAB to the intersection points of walls.

P.S. A little more description would help. Saying "just like the image" and then posting an image with no dimensions isn't very clear.

mike99
2012-08-22, 05:58 AM
How do you want them dimensioned?
Angles? Wall corner to Door Centerline? Point to Point?
I assume you've tried the Arc Length dimension.
If you want a point-to-point, you can TAB to the intersection points of walls.

P.S. A little more description would help. Saying "just like the image" and then posting an image with no dimensions isn't very clear.

Yes, you are very right. now I make a small sample to show it. My problem is, I have hundreds of doors, so that, if there is a way to finish the dimensions autometically?

MikeJarosz
2012-08-22, 06:48 PM
Can't help noticing, and adding my two cents.

The numbers indicate you are using metric. 1000 is a big door (almost 40"). A standard metric door is 900. A Japanese architect I worked with explained it this way: "900 is the magic number" Multiples of 900 or factors of it like 300 occur repeatedly in buildings done by native metric architects.

I did a tower in Sao Paulo Brazil. Wherever Brazil had a local building product, we would use it, but some products they have to import, often from the US. We were able to get local ACT and it was metric 600 x 600. But we could not get raised access flooring and used a US product that was 24" x 24", which is 209 x 209. It drove the designers crazy!

BTW. I hope you don't have to fit ACT and raised floor into your curved rooms. We had the same situation at the Toronto Airport. It drove our already crazy designers mad trying to fit things in. We finally wrote a section into the specs on the procedure to use dimensioning in curved spaces. We had to locate over 100 straight line escalators in radial space!

damon.sidel
2012-08-22, 07:04 PM
The numbers indicate you are using metric. 1000 is a big door (almost 40"). A standard metric door is 900.
Something I've always wondered about with Revit: the OOTB doors don't include frames. For a 900mm door in certain types of construction you need the rough opening to be 1000mm or even more (really rough concrete work might need as much as 75mm per side to be safe). So depending on the construction type, those doors might very well be appropriate, but should be drawn with 50mm frames on each side and a 900mm opening, right?

MikeJarosz
2012-08-22, 09:08 PM
The Public Building Service Metric Design Guide (PBS-PQ260, page 13) has this to say:

"Doors

A common metric door size is 900 by 2 100 mm. This may be used on metric projects
where other project specific design criteria are satisfied. Door thicknesses will remain the
same, being identified by the nominal mm equivalent such as 45. A 950 by 2 150 door
size is used in Canada as it matches metric block coursing."

I have done metric projects from Kazakhstan to Korea. The 900 is the width of the freestanding door itself . Think of it as measuring the door leaning against a wall, waiting to be hung.

Contractors in metric countries hate when Americans use converted dimensions rather than round metric sizes. As I mentioned above, ceiling tile is 600x600, not 609x609, the equivalent of 2x2! One exception: In the UK, so many of their existing buildings were built under the imperial standard (they invented it, after all) that they have to provide imperial building replacement products to this day. I remember watching a janitor changing a fluorescent tube in London once. The tile and fixture opening were 600x600, but the tube package said it was 24". He showed me how there was a 9mm protrusion in the fixture to accommodate a 209mm tube.

I amazed the young architects in the office when I pulled out my American tape measure and showed them how things around us in the office were a round number. I said to them: It's the British system. You should try it some time. :lol:

DaveP
2012-08-23, 02:15 PM
mike99, I think what you are looking for is placing a Dimension by Entire Wall instead of Individual References.
Unfortunately for you, that option is only available for the Aligned Dimension Style.
Entire Wall shows up on the Options Bar right next to the Faces/Centerline option.

I'm afraid you're stuck with one at a time on your curved walls, though. :cry:

mike99
2012-08-30, 03:00 PM
mike99, I think what you are looking for is placing a Dimension by Entire Wall instead of Individual References.
Unfortunately for you, that option is only available for the Aligned Dimension Style.
Entire Wall shows up on the Options Bar right next to the Faces/Centerline option.

I'm afraid you're stuck with one at a time on your curved walls, though. :cry:

Yes, what I want is like this,"seclecting the whole wall,and the doors in it,and the axis which cross this wall, an then press a button, then finish the dimensions along this wall",but which one ?