PDA

View Full Version : Simple pattern based curtain panel

rob.127056
2012-08-28, 12:49 PM
I am trying to create a simple pattern based panel with bolt connections at the four corners. The panel is located on a ceiling.
I get everything to work just fine except when I have a partial panel, the bolt connections drop off were the panel is cut short. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep all the bolts on a partial panel?

Thanks.

damon.sidel
2012-08-28, 01:20 PM
I think what you have to do is create an adaptive component for the edge conditions. Set the Border Tile of your divided surface to Empty, then place your adaptive component at each empty slot manually. You may be able to save yourself a little trouble by creating your adaptive component first, then nest it into your pattern-based family so you can update just the adaptive component and all your panels will change, the ones in the field and the ones on the borders.

hadlari
2012-08-29, 04:09 PM
If you divide the surface by intersection of ref planes you can define an intersection at the edge condition to be a whole panel.

rob.127056
2012-08-29, 05:09 PM
Weird your respone on AUGI got cut short here is the rest of your response that was in the email sent to me. Thanks for the response I will try it.

No need for a nested adaptive component. this should be a simple panel.
First rule of pattern based curtain wall systems: control everything with points. (also don't talk about them)

First host on each of the lines between your 4 adaptive cw points host two points. you can control the distance by segment length from the start and end for each point. one point should be hosted 4" from the start the other should be hosted 4" from the end. next from opposite ends draw a reference line with 3d snapping enabled to the mirrored point at the other end creating a tic tac toe looking thing within rectangle created by your adaptive points.

Next host 4 points on the lines you just created one at each intersection of the tic tac toe shape. i would suggest hosting the points on only two of the 4 lines you created with the two lines being parallel to each other. select a point and host it by intersection of the intersecting line. do this for all 4 points.

Now with your 4 points constrained to your shape you can create your bolts. when creating each bolt set the points horizontal work plane as your work plane before creating your extrusion (assuming you created your bolt with a simple extrusion). this will constrain your bolt to your point.

that should be it.

good luck

hadlari
2012-08-29, 06:00 PM
sorry i said that before i re read your first post correctly. that is how i would model your family that you posted. but if you already have it working then it should be fine.

i deleted that post and then posted how to solve your initial problem.

damon.sidel
2012-08-29, 07:48 PM
If you divide the surface by intersection of ref planes you can define an intersection at the edge condition to be a whole panel.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that. However, using intersection would then require that you create your whole grid, right, so you wouldn't get the controls of a divided surface (choosing the number of UV divisions, etc.) At that point it's a trade-off between spending time creating an edge panel and placing it and dealing with the grid. Depends on how you expect things to change as the design develops.

hadlari
2012-08-29, 08:11 PM
You can do a combination of the two. have your surface divided by your UV divisions and have ref planes around the edge and have the surface intersect by them as well.

This i believe is the best of both worlds.

rob.127056
2012-08-29, 09:41 PM
I just re-divided my mass with reference lines and my original patttern based curtain panel worked.
Thanks for the help.