PDA

View Full Version : Relative Window Head Height

studio3p
2003-10-28, 06:13 PM
Is there a way to re-reference a window to a level after it's been placed?

When I place a window in an elevation view or in any non-main level plan view the head height (and resulting sill height) are set relative to the level most immediately beneath that point of placement. I would like to have all of the windows report their dimensions relative to the main level. This is particularly true when it comes to generating the window schedule.

bclarch
2003-10-28, 06:39 PM
If you are using full height walls you should be able to place the windows on the first level then change the head height to whatever height you want. If you have separate walls on each floor then I don't think that the windows will jump to a new host.

May I ask why you would want to do this? The tradespeople who install the windows will be measuring from the floor that they are standing on, not one or two stories below, or am I missing something?

studio3p
2003-10-28, 06:51 PM
It's true that the framers measure relative to the level on which they're working, but in my case I have intermediate levels (see the attached pdf). When I add a window, either by copying or adding, to create some of the window stacks the height is latching on to the intermediate levels. For example, while the windows on the main level should be referencing the architectural baseline, they are instead referencing Roof Terrace.

Also, while the framers will make reference to the floor on which they are standing it is important that a constant reference be maintained to the architectural baseline. If something gets placed a little bit off during foundations or floor framing, it is important that that error not have a ripple affect.

gnl
2003-10-28, 07:06 PM
Are you inserting the windows in plan view? If you are doing it then just position them in the level you want to place them in and then change their position.
Something else that you can try is to go in the elevation view, select the windows you may want to copy and just copy them up where you need them. The newly copied windows will reference correctly (with the correct height) the level the original windows were referencing.

ciao