PDA

View Full Version : 2012 2D Revit Site Plan Possible?

rhizome
2012-09-09, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm currently learning Revit by working on the schematic phase of a project in 2D mode only (it was set up this way for area calculations before I got involved) and I'm wanting to create a 2D site plan showing the different roof levels of a very large building with 18 floors. Currently each level is in a different view/ sheet. I thought it would be possible to copy/ paste each of the lower level building outlines into one view/ sheet underneath Level 18.

However, it quickly became difficult to sort out the different level building outlines as they don't exist on layers.

So my question is: is there a simple way to create this plan in 2D Revit? At this point I'm beginning to think exporting each level (View) to Photoshop would be easiest, but maybe I'm missing a simple Revit technique?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated as my deadline is a few days away!

Mike L Sealander
2012-09-09, 01:10 PM
You are using a back hoe to try to cut the lawn. Here's a suggestion: Open up a floor plan view. You probably have a "Level One". That will work. Using the Roof tool (Architecture tab, Roof By Footprint), Sketch a roof. While in sketch mode, you can set the height of the roof relative to the Level: For instance, set Base Level From Offset to 2 feet. When finished with that roof, create another roof the same way, with Base Level From Offset set to 4 feet. Continue to make each of your Roofs this way. You will need to set the Cut Plane of your view to a dimension higher than the offset of the highest roof, and your View Depth to a dimension lower than the lowest roof. Now, this is the wrong way to model, but it's the easiest way to use the Revit back hoe to cut your particular lawn.
A better, correct way is to create a different Level for each roof level, and open the Floor Plan for the highest level, which corresponds to the highest roof level. Set the View Depth to Unlimited, and the view will show everything below the current level. Draw all your roofs in this topmost Floor Plan, but while sketching set their Base Level to the appropriate Level.

LP Design
2012-09-11, 07:25 PM
You are using a back hoe to try to cut the lawn.
I agree with this, but I think you should take things a bit farther than Mike describes. Don't be scared, just realize that you are NOT in cad anymore. IMHO the proper way to do this is to actually model the building. You don't have to worry about your exterior envelope, fenestrations, etc. Just use basic generic walls and roofs, but DO actually model them where they will be built.

Put in those 18 levels and set them at the correct heights. Put in the exterior walls on the levels they belong, in the physical location they belong. Put in your roofs on the correct floor levels with a height offset. Then use the views that are (or at least should be) automatically generated to lay out on your sheets. Do some searching around the forums for "view templates" and your life will be made 20 times easier.

My point is, you can't "learn Revit" by trying to use it the way you would CAD. If the method you described is how you always do schematic design and you aren't willing to go the extra few steps to MODEL schematics, then just use CAD. Otherwise you will end up stuck in the same loop as a lot of CAD users get stuck in, cursing Revit for not "working" and wasting time doing it.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
-LP

rhizome
2013-02-05, 12:57 AM
Thanks, guys, just seeing these comments now (didn't have subscriptions turned on) but they make sense :). I inherited the 2D plans but have always felt we aren't going about things the right way, or at least the easiest way. I'll be trying these suggestions out soon.