PDA

View Full Version : Sloped Walls at Stairs

Paul Monsef
2003-10-28, 07:42 PM
I'm working on an exterior stair with sloping walls on either side.. (1) when i edit the elevation profile of my wall type to match the slope of my stairs, the wall sweeps folowing the top of the wall fail. To get around this i created an extrusion in an -place family. Is there a better way? (2) I'd like to add a 12" high pipe railing on top of the sloping wall and i'm not quite sure how to tackle this.

See attachment.

gregcashen
2003-10-28, 08:29 PM
I did this as a monolithic stair (this would work in your application) with a railing profile that is the wall and cap in one profile. I also included the balusters and top rail so that it is all one railing...take a look at it...not exactly what you need but could be tweaked easily to get you your exact condition.

ed: can't seem to upload the file...I'll email it to you...if your email address is not listed here, send it to me...mine is posted

beegee
2003-10-28, 10:13 PM
Paul,
The original sweep was a hosted wall sweep ? You lose that , as you've found, when you edit the wall profile.

Just recreate the sweep, using an inplace family sweep and picking the path. Its very quick to do.

Paul Monsef
2003-10-29, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys. Pretty slick...

FYI. I ended up just using a floor system as my halfwall cap, adjusting the floor to match the slope of my stairs, blah blah blah...... then i could attach the railing to the floor.