PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Copy Walls w Face Based Families between projects

Limbatus
2012-09-12, 04:25 PM
Hello,
I have a project with a bunch of custom face based families hosted to the walls, and i need to copy these items to a relatively similar other unit model that was split off from the original a few weeks ago. When i try to copy and paste from one project to the other, the walls come in, but my face based families do not host to the walls. they appear to be transfered, but they no longer snap to the host. Is there a better way to achieve this? thanks

gabecottam428011
2012-09-13, 04:31 PM
The face based families copy into the other project, but lose their hosting? You can "Pick New" hosts for those if you want them to be reattached to the walls.

I think that is common for the hosting to "break" during that copy/ paste operation.

rbcameron1
2012-09-13, 08:55 PM
I'll try to give you a solution, but putting a bandaid on something I feel is weak in Revit, really doesn't help you in the long run.
Is, "Avoid wall, floor, ceiling and face hosted families altogether" an option? I can't think of an instance where I couldn't get a family aligned and locked to a certain location on a wall. So if the wall moves, it moves. Even if the object is a perfect sphere, you can add a hidden ref.plane and lock it to a wall. I can think of dozens of times where unusual Revit things like what you're mentioning though. Or for instance, if you delete that wall later because of an owner directed change, you may not realize something was attached to it and "poof", that family is gone. I've also experienced major problems with wall/ceiling/floor-hosted and face-hosted families not being able to copy/monitor with consultants. Copy and paste it from its hosted family into a non-hosted family, file-save-as then import it in.
Copy pasting doesn't really become an issue either since it doesn't need an option to host to. Sure, it adds a step, but like everything BIM, it saves you time down the road.
Unless someone else has a fool proof, awesome, works-every-time solution as to why they use hosted families, I would avoid using them IF that is a viable option for you at this point. Anyone else have anything on wall/ceiling/floor/workplane hosted families?

-rbcameron

Mike L Sealander
2012-09-13, 09:11 PM
Try making a group out of the walls and FB objects, then exporting the group as a project, then bringing the project in as a group.
Not having hosted families at all? That's a gamer changer. I actually like not having families hosted by specific types of objects, like walls. Rather, have everything face-based: troffer lights, sconses, fire extinguisher cabinets, upper cabinets, furniture...