PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Phasing

LEDO
2012-09-18, 07:51 PM
I'm a bit confused... A few days ago, I input a bldg. while on an "Existing" phase. Now that I've changed the phase to "Demo" (so I can select the elements to be demoed) all of the elements have changed to being created on the "demo" phase. How did this happen and how can I efficiently change it all to the correct phase?

Also, my detail group which I'd like to put on the demo phase doesn't have any phase associated with it at all. Even when I un-group it. Thanks in advance.

jeffh
2012-09-18, 08:44 PM
You don't really need a "demo" pahse. You can kind of think about demolition as the first thing that happens in "New Construction". So you have an "Existing Phase" and a "New Construction" phase. To demolish something go to a view that is set to the phase "New Construction" and use the demolish tool on an existing element. This will cause this element to become demolished.

There is a longer explination at the wiki help and an example project you can download and take a look at it to see how phasing can be set up.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/Community/Examples/Example_Project_to_Illustrate_Phasing

KoryCox
2012-09-18, 09:00 PM
For a little deeper information: Highlight an element that has been incorrectly demolished. Take a look in the View Properties box down at the bottom. You will see two fields one for Phase Created, and one for Phase demolished. I suspect that you accidentally changed the element's Phase Demolished Field instead of the Phase Created Field.

Luckily, this is easy to correct. Select the incorrectly phased elements and change the Phase Created in the Properties Box to Existing, and the Phase Demolished to New Construction.

This can be simplified by changing your Phase Filter in the view settings to only show Demolished objects so that you can select them all at once for a quick correction.

I would agree with Jeffh that you don't need a Demo Phase. that is merely the point between two phases instead of an extended period of time, a phase.

As far as the details go: Detail Components are not model elements and cannot be assigned a phase. What you can do instead is highlight the elements and right click. This will bring up the right click menu. Select Override Graphics in View - By Element. This will open a dialogue box giving you graphic options. Here you can change them all to show as halftone or whatever else you need.

LEDO
2012-09-18, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the reference Jeff.

Uh.. Is it possible to delete an un-needed phase?

patricks
2012-09-18, 09:02 PM
^^^ This.

All model elements have a Phase Created and a Phase Demolished parameter. Phases refer to a chronological order of when elements are created. You don't necessarily "create" anything when you demolish stuff, so there is no need for an actual Demolition phase. Stuff is demolished to make way for new stuff as part of your new construction contract.

The only time I would do a separate "Demo" phase is if all demolition were, in fact, part of a separate "demolition" contract, where a demolition contractor came in, did their demolition thing, moved out, and then another GC comes in to do the new construction project. In that case, my new construction work would show the "existing" building as however the building looked after all the demolition took place.

*edit* oops 3 replies were made in the time it took me to type this! I was saying "This" to Jeff's post above.

You don't delete phases, you can combine them with a phase before or after it. Technically after you correct the elements' phase parameters, your "demo" phase should be empty, so you could just combine it with either of your other phases.

LEDO
2012-09-18, 09:43 PM
Thank you all, I have combined my un-needed created "demo" phase. Now all the existing elements have gone to the new construction phase. Do I "need" a duplicate plan for each phase-view I want to show? Does it just work better that way? I thought I could toggle these views by utilizing the phase-filter. I'm sorry to keep asking on an issue that is probably very easy, but I'm trying to learn this on a fairly un-complicated project so I know it for a more complicated one down the road.

KoryCox
2012-09-19, 02:55 PM
You don't need to per-say. What I do is I have a set of views - one for each major level of the project - that I label "!BIM-Level 1" and so on. These views then sort to the top of the view list and I use them for all modeling purposes. They are intended to never be placed on a sheet. I change the view settings to accomplish what ever I am working on at any given point without regard for the document set.

To be honest I have also been known to create a set of views for each phase using this same idea. It is just more views to navigate through in your browser, but using naming conventions or Browser Organization sorting you can arrange them in a way that complements your workflow.

CADastrophe
2012-09-19, 03:04 PM
...Now that I've changed the phase to "Demo" (so I can select the elements to be demoed) all of the elements have changed to being created on the "demo" phase.....

Thank you all, I have combined my un-needed created "demo" phase. Now all the existing elements have gone to the new construction phase...

This sounds like you had renamed your "Existing" Phase to "Demo", is this true? Are you left with only a "New Construction" Phase right now?