PDA

View Full Version : Cool uses for Revit other than AEC...

Baldwin_4-6-0
2012-09-19, 01:33 PM
One of my co-workers just showed me he drafted his offensive plays using Revit for the football team he coaches! Awesome!

I have used Revit to start making logos, then I finalize the logo in photoshop or illustrator.

naranjo
2012-09-19, 04:30 PM
You have free time at work? lucky you :)

Baldwin_4-6-0
2012-09-21, 12:38 PM
Time is not free :)... off hours stuff

kmarquis
2012-09-21, 08:46 PM
I used Revit for my seating chart for my wedding. I gave tables Type Mark numbers and made family types of a chair family representing each guest. I scheduled it and handed it to the wedding coordinator with a floor plan.

jsteinhauer
2012-09-24, 02:54 PM
I used Revit for my seating chart for my wedding. I gave tables Type Mark numbers and made family types of a chair family representing each guest. I scheduled it and handed it to the wedding coordinator with a floor plan.

How many design options did you have for this? Did you're wedding coordinator look at you like a bridezilla? Was there a special parameter for likely hood that someone would be annoying, or disruptive? I would label this parameter pH, and not allow to strong of an Acid or a Base to sit next to each other.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

kmarquis
2012-09-24, 03:12 PM
I did not have design options...lol and I was in no way a bridezilla!...just very organized. It was pretty small but I must say...it worked so well. I would have had to give the wedding coordinator a floor plan anyway and a non-architect, non-Revit user would have had a few more coordination issues. And everyone got along ;)

Dimitri Harvalias
2012-09-24, 04:18 PM
I mucked about a while back with a simple family that allowed me to mock up laminated blocks for wood turning and then using voids to 'carve' away pieces so I could see the end result of wood turning on a lathe.
The family had provision for changing the type of wood so I could experiment with dark/light combinations as well as the set up angle. Got some pretty neat results. Now all I need to do is get the lathe and the time to do the turning. Something for retirement. :)

dfriesen
2012-09-24, 04:52 PM
I mucked about a while back with a simple family that allowed me to mock up laminated blocks for wood turning and then using voids to 'carve' away pieces so I could see the end result of wood turning on a lathe.
The family had provision for changing the type of wood so I could experiment with dark/light combinations as well as the set up angle. Got some pretty neat results. Now all I need to do is get the lathe and the time to do the turning. Something for retirement. :)

That sounds like good fun! I've used it for various wood-working projects too, but haven't incorporated the I. Hopefully my work still amounts to more than the remainder. ;-)

rbcameron1
2012-09-24, 05:58 PM
I used Revit 2013 as THE powerpoint presentation for a demonstration.
EVERYTHING IN REVIT, even the presentation for the project! haha

Adrian Esdaile
2012-09-25, 03:37 AM
I second the wedding planning - I did that for my wedding too! Seating plan, menus, invitations, guest list - all done in Revit 2009! :grin:

Maybe Autodesk should look at a Wedding Design Suite! :idea: quick, trademark that NOW...

My other non-standard uses are:

1. building scenery & aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator X - export to 3DS Max, polygon cleanup, export to MS-FSX.

2. converting all of my old radio control aircraft & boat designs to digital format - 3D builds of basla-wood structures. I have to scale UP to work in Revit - 10:1!

3. designing masks for printing my own PCBs for electronics projects.

Yes, there is better software for all of the above, but I find I am quickest when using Revit, and of course it costs less than Adobe Creative Suite! :shock:

Steve_Stafford
2012-09-25, 11:52 AM
I used it to decide which player played where and when, for my son's soccer team when he was ten. I wrote a blog post called Revit can Coach Soccer. (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/10/revit-can-coach-soccer.html)

jsteinhauer
2012-10-03, 02:04 PM
I was thinking last night I could do a family tree. I was thinking a plumbing engineer might use piping runs, and a Mechanical Engineer would use duct runs. I would imagine levels could be used for 10 year increments. Area of the pipe or duct could be the person's height. You could track genetic traits such as blood type, hair & eye color, height, hand dominance & diseases. I would love to hear any additional thoughts.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

p.s. this was after my roommate woke me up at 11:45 to drive her to her sister's house, because she (roommate) locked her keys in her car.

CADastrophe
2012-10-03, 03:41 PM
I made Lego assembly instructions for some kids in Revit. I quickly modeled the Lego pieces (scaled up a bit) as Families and loaded them into a project with proper materials, then used Phasing to control the visibility of the step-by-step, piece-by-piece 3D visual instructions. Since I could rotate the 3D View to the best angle, very little annotation was necessary. Work out pretty well!

garyible491083
2012-10-04, 01:48 AM
I used Revit to draw my model railroad track plans for my proposed 2 deck layout, the associated timber benchwork framing as well as the purpose build shed that the layout will be constructed in.
Great to see it in 3D and establish if it would all fit as intended and for finding errors and quickly fixing same.

Gary

kmarquis
2012-10-04, 08:52 PM
This is a bit of stretch since it's still kind of a building but one year around the holidays the firm I was working for had a contest to try to get new Revit users interested in modeling. The contest was to model a gingerbread house in Revit. This was a lot of fun. I made M&M families for roofing, my wall sweeps were made of "frosting", I created trees and gingerbread people. I brought the Revit rendering into photoshop just to put people in to give it a scale. See attached photo. Fun times.

rtaube
2012-10-05, 02:33 PM
I used it to show how Revit could be used in Archaeology, utilzing the power of a graphical database.

jeffh
2012-10-05, 05:03 PM
I used it to create an image for a Tee Shirt design.

SCShell
2012-10-07, 07:09 PM
Hey there,
I have used Revit for Logos, Stationary and business cards. I even re-designed my Harley with it by modeling the basic frame, fork and wheels so that I could "virtually chop" and increase the head tube's angle and have it accurately rotate around the rear axle in order to determine the front wheel's trail. (I wanted to maintain the factory trail to preserve the ride quality.)

Steven